Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Thighs...question

Options
Evilpenguinj
Evilpenguinj Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Everyone

Just got a small egg. I was going to do boneless chicken thighs. Most recipes seem to call for the grill to be raised. Since I just got it I haven't been able to do that yet. Will I have any problems doing it directly on the normal grill? What temp as well?

Jason

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    375-400 indirect with a drip pan on your platesetter. Thats platesetter legs up grate on legs and drip pan under the grate. If you have a platesetter. An hour +/-
  • Rib Fan
    Rib Fan Posts: 305
    Options
    You can use lots of stuff to get a raised grid. Fire bricks, bolts, angled steel, etc. You dont have to get a fancy contraption. You probably have something around the house that would do the job. I got some firebricks that my neighbour had.
    I do my thighs on this raised set up. 325....usually approx an hour....but cook to doneness not time.

Cheers

Wayne
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You can cook them direct just fine. Instead of raising the grid, lower the lump (i.e. put in less than a full load). This will accomplish the same effect - keeping the meat farther from the burning lump.
  • dougemsmacks
    dougemsmacks Posts: 152
    Options
    I would do as Fidel said and run it around 350° they will come out fine and very juicy
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    c7f37fd5.jpg

Fidel has got it. A smaller fire will work just fine. Boneless thighs are an easy cook, but one word of caution....if you are planning on saucing, don't add the sauce until the final 3 to 5 minutes. And keep a close eye on it. Even with a small fire, with the grate in the normal position it can burn easily.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Yeah, what Fidel and Thirdeye said. The boneless thighs cook pretty quick compared to bone-in. You won't need much charcoal to get the job done. Watch them and rotate your grate once in a while, you'll be fine!
    Beers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ