Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

small BGE won't get above 400 degrees

wannabebackinTexas
wannabebackinTexas Posts: 162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend of mine has a small that he says he can't get above 400
degrees at any time. I've told him about the obvious stuff like
amount of lump, airflow, alignment, position of the moon and such.

Any off you guys with a small BGE got any idea what might be causing this problem??

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    everything you mentioned, adding dasiy wheel off the egg and patience, my small comes up to temp extremely slow, well past the hour mark somedays to reach 6 or 7 hundred degrees, and it doesnt like to get hotter. i dont use the small much which also increases the problem of moisture builing up in the egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Have them remove the firebox and completely clean out any ash. It is also possible to get a bad batch of lump.

700+ degrees should be no problem for a Small BGE.

Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk
  • Camano
    Camano Posts: 134
    Might check the accuracy of the thermometer
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Get that man a wiggle stick. Vroooooooooooom and don't be shy with the lump.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    They are typically only off by 40-60 degrees. That little egg should get to 650+ without a problem.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    infrequent use?

mine gets damp, the guts, ceramic, old lump. just takes time.
    the more i use it the faster it goes
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    Clean it good...fill it up...leave top off and bottom vent wide open. If you don't get it above 500 quickly, I would be astonished...

My small has no problems getting to 600. 700 takes a lot of lump and a bit of time.
  • Swift
    Swift Posts: 7
    Cleaning out ash and unblocking air holes definitely works.

I take a small blow drier on low speed and aim it at the open draft door. Gets my LRG BGE up to 700 in minutes. Probably a better way out there for stoking a small.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Air flow + Lump = Heat.

There is the exact same discussion on this in the last day or so with some very detailed information. You might want to brows down a bit or do a search.

In addition to what has been said above, make sure the lump is light across the entire surface with some depth to the burn, light in 4 or 5 spots an inch or so below the surface. All vents fully open.

If the temperature is still not going high then use a wiggle rod and or the ash tool to make an air path(s) through the lump to the fire grate.

If the above is not getting the small to the high temperatures either ping me or email me. There are a couple of other things that can be done.

The only time the ash really needs to be cleaned out is when the ash blocks the air path into the fire box or through the air holes in the side of the fire box.

GG
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    What Stike said. Infrequent use. I believe this plays a major roll in how hot it gets how fast. I've read several post about this lately and couldn't agree more. Is he leaving the egg out uncovered? I know that they are suppose to be sealed off when shut but I do beleive they can pick up moisture. Where does he store the platesetter? Subject to moisture? I'm just saying if you start with a slightly moist (not noticeable) egg and platesetter, its gonna take that hour you mentioned to wick it out and get her on up there. If all the other items mentioned are correct, I'd say he's dealing with a moist egg or platesetter. Just my thoughts. Good luck.