Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcocking Question

JK
JK Posts: 93
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When you spatchcock chicken, should you take out the chicken breastbone?

Comments

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    JK,[p]I've never done one, but I believe I understand the procedure.[p]It is my understanding that the breastbone is left in. However, with the breastbone facing up, press down on the breast bone with the palm of your hand until the breastbone breaks. This cause the bird to lay much flatter.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    JK,
    You can take it out if you want to, but there really is no need. Just flatten it after you remove the backbone. I read somewhere that taking out the breast bone will let the juices out of the breast anyways.[p]~nikki

• bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    JK,
    no.............

• bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    JK,
    no.............

• JK,
    A lot of places that I've seen recommend taking out the keel bone. Is that what you mean by breast bone? (I don't know if they are the same or not.) Alton Brown removed it on his show where he butterflied a chicken and broiled it. It makes serving a little easier since you don't have to cut through the breast bone to separate the two halves, so I imagine it is more a personal preference than anything else.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    JK,
    You need to cut out the backbone> I use kitchen shears and start cutting at the tail end and on up to the neck opening. Do this on both sides of the backbone which will remove it. Turn the chicken over and press down on the breat and it will flatten the chicken. This is a great way to cook a chicken.

• Gloria,
    I think he knows about taking out the backbone. I think his question is about removing the keel bone too. Or I could be wrong... :-)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • JK
    JK Posts: 93
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Yep. I got the backbone out with no problem. I was following Raichlen's book "How to Grill" and couldn't tell whether he took out the breastbone or not. So I took it out. Bit floppy as a result, as you can imagine. Followed his pesto paste recipe; cooked the bird at 350* direct on a raised grill for about 50 min. to an internal temp of 180*. Tasted great. Next time I'll do it with the breastbone in. Thanks for the info. everyone!