Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ginger Salmon Reels One In

Options
Wise One
Wise One Posts: 2,645
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a next door neighbor who is about to move to Houston (working for the city in the area of water quality). I invited them over for my inaugural attempt at 'Ginger Salmon cooked on Scallions' Saturday night. They were really impressed. So much so that he has decided he need sto buy a Big Green Egg before moving in two weeks. So all you tEGGas eggers will be getting one more to join your company.
I must admit that the Ginger Salmon is absolutely delicious. I had some fun trying to scurry up the ingredients (never did find some miso but used a cultured soy yogurt in its place) but the taste was wonderful and well worth it. If you haven't tried this, do so. Thanks to chuckls for posting this recipe. It's very similar to the 'Miso Salmon' Nature Boy posted but cooking on the scallions is a great idea.

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Wise One,
    sounds good, cookin on the scallions. . .i assume you layed them all over the grill a put the salmon on top of them?. . .[p]i recently did salmon where i laid lemon slices all over the grill and the salmon on top of them. ..worked out wonderfully. ...maybe next time i'll do a combo of lemon slices and scallions. .. can't imagine it wouldn't work well???

• Wise One
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome, I actually put them on one side of the grill which provided me enough room to cook some eggplant in my holey-wok on the other side. I like the idea of lemons as well. That might be just the ticket for a real tender fish like flounder.

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    Wise One,[p]I'm glad the recipe worked so well for you & your guests![p]Well, call me a nut, I too was cooking that recipe last night for some salmon and also some snapper from the freezer. I didn't have any scallions but I did have a boat-load of zuchinni. So I sliced the zuchinni lengthwise, and used it for the bed instead of scallions - worked great! The fish was very moist and flavorful. [p]I try to keep the smoke flavor to a minimum (for my wife's palette), so besides using the bed of sliced zuchinni, I sliced up some fresh nectarines and covered the marinated fish with the sliced nectarines. I thought this might absorb some of the smoke flavor and leave the fish less smoky.[p]Oh, and about the "call me a nut" part, you really don't want to take notes while I'm brewing up a marinade. This time while perusing the pantry, I spotted a bottle of molasses, so besides the soy sauce, miso, olive oil, lemon juice, ginger, garlic and other herbs and spices, some molasses and real Hawaiian turbinado sugar found its way into the marinade. It was so good, maybe I should have written it down![p]chuckls

• Wise One,
    Hey I remember when chuckls posted pics of that recipe... I thought I noted the recipe but didn;'t.. could you post it? Or direct me to a link[p]

• Wise One
    Options
    Nardi, here it is:
    Ginger Salmon

I have developed this recipe over the years, it is a favorite of my daughter's. It is modified now somewhat for cooking on the egg. I am amazed at how moist and juicy this salmon turns out when cooked on the BGE. I suggest preparing a side dish of japanese stir-fried rice to use the scallions after cooking the salmon. But that is a recipe for another time.
    [p] Ingredients
    Salmon fillets, size to fit appetites (plan about 6 oz per serving)
    2 bunches Scallions
    Dried Basil
    Kosher salt
    Marinade
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    2 Tbs sesame oil
    2 Tbs lemon juice
    1 Tbs Mirin (japanese cooking wine)
    1 Tbs fresh chopped ginger root
    2 tsp miso
    1 tsp fresh chopped garlic
    1/2 tsp sambal oeleck (red pepper paste)
    hot chinese oil to taste
    Procedure - Marinade
    1 Combine all ingredients and whisk with wire whisk until well blended.
    2 Reserve 1/3 cup of marinade for basting, and marinade the salmon for 1 to 2 hours on the counter or in the fridge.
    Prep:
    1 Clean your shallow v-rack and spray with Pam.
    2 Lay the scallions across the grid, alternating tops and bulbs.
    3 Place the marinaded salmon on the bed of scallions.
    4 Sprinkle with dried basil and a touch of kosher salt.
    Cooking:
    1 I use a dome temp of about 350°F, with a grid extender and a drip pan to block the direct heat
    2 You can use smoke if you wish but I think it overpowers the delicate asian flavors so I don't add any chunks.
    3 Place the prepared shallow v-rack on the grid extender, and cook for 30-45 minutes.
    4 During the last 10-15 minutes, brush with the reserved marinade. I don't use a temp probe because with fish it is easier to tell if it is done by how it flakes when tested with a fork.
    5 After removing the salmon from the egg, serve immediately. If also serving stir fry, make sure to have everything ready then after removing the salmon, cut the char off the scallions, slice up the remainder and add to the stir fry. Toss a couple of times and serve with the salmon. Enjoy!

Servings: 4
    Submitted by: chuckls[p]

• Wise One,
    Thanks, I'll give it a try...