Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large Egg Table

Options
a stick
a stick Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm building a table for my new large Egg. The plans on the site here call for a 21" diameter circle for the egg to fit in. Has anyone building their table found a need to increase or decrease that size?[p]Brined and beer-butted a chicken for 4 hours at 275 with Jack Daniel's chips, life is good.[p]A.Stick

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    A Stick,
    I made my hole 21" for the large egg and have scorched the edges of the wood. 21" is plenty big for the physical aspects of putting the egg into a hole, but I think another inch wouldn't hurt as far as keeping the wood from scorching.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    338443%3A323232%7Ffp65%3Dot%3E2327%3D8%3A4%3D933%3Dxroqdf%3E2323378%3C26339ot1lsi
    <p />A Stick,
    As you can see by the photo mine is close trimed. I used the recommended measurements but then I was disappointed that the big gap allowed rain to enter my BBQ Center. My frame is made out of cedar and the top is porcelain tile and even thought the Egg is virtually up against the wood I have not had a problem with scorching. One of these days I plan to stuff some water/heat proof gasket material around the open edge to keep the water out. Got to find the material first.
    Another thing, my Egg sits on the little ceramic feet that sit directly on the cedar base 2 X 4's. No problem scorching there either, and yes, I do take my Egg up to as high as 800 degrees.

• a stick
    a stick Posts: 69
    Options
    Gentlemen - Thank you both for your input and replying so quickly.
  • Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]I have experienced the same concerning the scorching, but frequently use the egg for breads like batches of pita and pizzas at very high temps. If you are not cooking at nuclear temps for extended periods of time, it probably will not be a problem for you. [p]Ashley
  • Bigsmoke
    Bigsmoke Posts: 30
    Options
    A Stick,[p]I just constructed my BGE table using the spacing dimensions b/t the top and bottom shelf, and for the hole. Be careful if you have the new type hinges. I followed the instructions and still couldn't fully open my Egg. I had to put another stone under it just to get it high enough. I used 1x6's for the shelving, rounded off the edges, and 2x4's for support and the legs. Good luck.

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Options
    Bigsmoke,
    With the new Spring Assisted Band you need to either use a patio stone along with the feet that come with your BGE or shorten the distance 2 inches between the bottom boards and the top boards. Have had customers successful with both of these methods.
    Julie

• Bigsmoke
    Bigsmoke Posts: 30
    Options
    Julie,[p]10-4, I just figured that out a little late. No big deal, it just seems like every time I do something, it ends up *&%#'ed up. It cooks just as well though.[p]Good Egg to You.