Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Setup

Options
TheDirtyBurger
TheDirtyBurger Posts: 846
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am off this summer (ah, the horrible life of a teacher) and I was planning on experimenting with the egg. The first stop is pizza. I am going to get a pizza stone in the next few days and I just wanted to clearify the setup. I do not have anything special, just a regular LBGE and a platesetter, no add-ons.

1. Platesetter legs up
2. Grid
3. BGE Feet (if I can get some)
4. Stone
5. Pizza pan or parchment paper

Is this correct?

How full would I want the firebox? I usually always fill it to the top by default.

Your help is always appreciated.
thanks
tim

Comments

• USDA Prime
    USDA Prime Posts: 89
    Options
    I have pretty much the same setup w/o the feet. I might suggest a pizza peel for getting the pizza in and out of the Egg. Hope your tastebuds are prepared!
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    There are lots of ways to cook pizza on the BGE. The following is just my opinion.

There is no need for the BGE Feet in that setup. People use them to raise the pizza stone off the plate setter when they use it legs down.

Also, if you buy a wood pizza peel you won't need a pizza pan or parchment paper either. Flour on the bottom of the crust, cornmeal on the peel, a flick of the wrist and the pie is on the stone.

I'd experiment with lower temperatures first. I've had my best results at 450º. How full to fill the firebox mostly depends on how long you want to keep the Egg hot. Figure an hour to get everything up to temperature and then however long you want to keep cooking. It takes me almost another hour to make and cook the usual three pies.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I concur with the other comments, not need to add the feet as you describe.

I do mine with the plate setter legs down, but beware others have had gasket issues doing the setup as I do in this pic:

AlmostDone121708.jpg

You can see how your gasket could be in danger:

Setup1217108.jpg
  • johnrezz
    johnrezz Posts: 120
    Options
    Hey Fidel,

So I sit here in Iraq missing my egg and I decide to look at the forums to see what is new and you force me to look at this delicious pizza...... So now I am going ot have to hunt you down and.... oh I mean great looking pizza!!!!
    So this is going to be my first prject when i get home, do you want to share your secrets?

lol

John
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    You can set your stone right on the grid without the feet. I go one step further setting the stone on an extended grid to get the pie higher in the dome. -RP
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I used to go legs up on the PS and stone on the grid- but I found I like the Pizza better without the grid. Maybe leftover crumbs on the grid that added an extra flavor,m I don't know...I do know that once I started cooking with the legs down, the Za tasted better.

Start out keeping it simple- minimize your variables.

My setup:
    Platesetter legs down, 3 spacers (you can use feet, I use stones) Pizza stone on top. I found parchment paper makes the process easier than cornmeal (and I had no problem with cornmeal!)

Cooking temp:
    I have cooked at 450 - 700 and I find with a thicker crust and a lot of toppings the high temps don't work so good. I typically go 500 - 550.

Dough:
    Buy it from a local pizza parlor to get you started.
    Sauce:
    Get canned Hunts tomato sauce (8 oz) to get you started
  • JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    Options
    It sort of depends on what style of pizza you like. I like a Florence-style pizza, meaning a crispy crust and a few fresh toppings, like real mozzarella, fresh tomatoes and fresh basil.

That type of pie takes high heat, 600-700 degrees. At that temp and with your set up I've found that the pizza stone deflected the heat right at my gaskets, frying them to a crispy crunch in places. I'd extend the stone up a little higher if that's what you're after. If you like a more American style of pie your set up at 450-500 should be fine.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    dassa nice-ah pizza pie!
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Here's what I do:

See the pizza screen in Fidel's photo? That's the no-fail way to get the pizza on the stone without disaster. They come in different sizes and you put the dough round right on it and build the pizza from there. You can handle it with tongs when it's hot.

I use the platesetter either way, legs up or down, it doesn't matter. Then the grid if legs up, and I put on three copper tube T-shaped thingys under the stone to lift it as high as possible.

The pizza will release from the screen when it's cooked, but sometimes needs a little nudge.

Judy
    Judy in San Diego
  • tarheelforever
    Options
    Where could one pick up a pizza screen?