Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt = Done too quick = not so good

David911
David911 Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Alright, I have done quite a few butts on my webber kettle. Real small fire, new lump and wood chips every hour, - a big pain, but delicious.

Last night I loaded up the egg with lump, also probably 6 or 7 big wood chucks. Got the temp settled at around 260 dome. Used plate setter legs up, drip pan, grate. Put the 8 lb butt on at about 12:30. Smoke was coming out, looking good. Checked at 1AM, things still looking good (temp and smoke) went to bed. Checked at 4AM, temp constant, no smoke, went back to bed.

Checked at 9:30AM, temp constant, no smoke. Decided to peek at the meat. It looked far along, show I checked temp and it was a little over 200. This was surprising as I was expecting a 12-16 hour cook.

Took it off, pulled it, its now in the fridge waiting for dinner. It did not taste that smokey, more like roasted pork.

Overall, a pretty disappointing cook. I am not sure where I went wrong.

Comments

• AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Your temp of 260 was too high. I'd shoot for 210 - 220 for a long cook like that in the Egg.

As far as the smoke, I have no idea except for the temp might have burned through the wood chunks too fast.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    David, Have you ever calibrated your dome thermometer? I have heard of some folks finding their thermometer to be as much as 40* off. 260* is just a bit high, but should not result in a poor cook. :( If the thermometer is off, you may have been cooking closer to 300* and didn't know it. Test your dome thermometer before your next cook.
    Also, for the wood, if we want a heavy smoke, we make sure the wood is distributed throughout the lump, in different sections. Sometimes if just dropped on top, they don't ingnite, or all ignite at the same time. Just a thought. ;)
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Hi David. The light smoke taste is something you will work on with more cooks and getting used to the egg. If you want a heavier smoke taste, you may want to mix chips in your lump. Most people that use other types of smokers before using the BGE are used to a heavier smoke taste. I was like that when I started. As you start playing with the Egg and experimenting with all manner of foods your pallette will change and get more sensitive to flavors. (that is a good thing) You will find yourself developing a taste of the meat and use smoke to enhance and not to overpower. I tend to do pork butts at a lower temp. I will do butts at 225 grid temp and they will take 12 to 14 hours until internal is 185. Pull the butts and wrap in foil cover with towels and put in a cooler for 4 hours. Hope this helps
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • I agree with LC I checked both my dome thermometers and they were both reading 50 degrees to low. I usually smoke my butts between 225 and 250 and have great results.

The easiest way is to calibrate the thermometer is to stick it in boiling water. Then it should read close to 212(depending on your altitude)check the boiling point calculator on the cookbook tab. If it needs adjustment place a 7/16" wrench on the nut behind the face. Hold the wrench and turn the face until the needle points at 212 degrees. Finished!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Two points...

First as LC just said. I would guess your dome thermometer has not been calibrated and or it has changed.

Starting an 8# butt at 0:30 for me is way too early for an next day late afternoon or evening meal. I start about 04:00 and it is about ready at 15:00 to 16:00 then the rest.

An 8# butt at an ideal is 12 hours so you would be looking at 12 noon done time. Butt's for me seem to cook quicker.

Is it possibly your flavor wood did not ignite/smoke? The smoke flavor usually is more intense after the rest period.

GG
  • David911
    David911 Posts: 11
    Thermometer was off 40 degrees.

I think that explains the fast cook!

Thanks for the help,

David
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    That usually is the case.

GG
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Glad you found the source to the problem. 250 is the ideal temp that most on here use for their butt cook. You did nothing wrong on the temp you were shooting for. As far as the smoke goes you've already got great advice. Its simply just practicing and adjusting amount of wood you add to the lump. I struggled with this when I started as well. I agree 100% with Bubba Tim also on the fact that your taste will change over time. I was loading mine up with 5 or 6 pieces of hickory on a rib cook but now I catch myself toning back some. I also read where some add the smoke right after they light and then hone in on temp waiting for smoke to clear. I've always added my smoke right when the meat went on. Just something else for you to try. Good luck.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Most of my butts, and all of my picnic have finished in less than 1.5 hours per pound. I've come to expect shorter times.