Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying something different

ViennaJack
ViennaJack Posts: 357
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The local H-Mart Asian grocery is usually a great place to buy whole shoulders. Lately they've also stocked a lot of sliced shoulder. The slices are about 2" thick and seem like they might be a good way to do pulled pork for those times when I don't want to end up with an entire shoulder's worth of cooked meat.

Here are two bone-in slices rubbed last night that just went on at 250F dome. I'm aiming for 195F internal and expecting them to be done in about eight hours or so. Thoughts?

IMG_0382.jpg

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Hi Jack, interesting! let us know how they come out??
    I would think they would be great slow cooked with BBQ sauce in a dutch oven too. you would not have the bark but these do not look like they have the fat to render down either? Julie
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Hi Jack. I understand what you are trying to do. I do belive that Julie has made a great point. You need the rendering of the fat. If you find yourself with too much pull pork leftover, vac seal and freeze. Also learn where you can use the meat in other dishes. Pasta, Pizza, Soups, ABTs, etc...
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • DrugCoder
    DrugCoder Posts: 219
    Interesting idea! I don't think it will take 8 hours to finish up though.
  • ViennaJack
    Mainegg wrote:
    Hi Jack, interesting! let us know how they come out??
    I would think they would be great slow cooked with BBQ sauce in a dutch oven too. you would not have the bark but these do not look like they have the fat to render down either? Julie

Hi Julie,

I imagine that they will cook a lot like pork ribs or even "country" ribs do when smoked at 250F. But, we'll see. I'm definitely looking forward to a higher bark to meat ratio.

Jack
  • ViennaJack
    bubba tim wrote:
    Hi Jack. I understand what you are trying to do. I do belive that Julie has made a great point. You need the rendering of the fat. If you find yourself with too much pull pork leftover, vac seal and freeze. Also learn where you can use the meat in other dishes. Pasta, Pizza, Soups, ABTs, etc...

Hey Tim,

I do vacuum seal the leftovers but it's just not as good after it's frozen, so it would be nice to have "just enough" to be consumed fresh. I'll definitely post the results in this thread later on.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    I am with you on the frozen part. I like fresh also. You may want to do mopping to keep it mosit, I am afraid you may dry those pork steaks out. Good luck and post the finished results.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • ViennaJack
    DrugCoder wrote:
    Interesting idea! I don't think it will take 8 hours to finish up though.

I tend to agree. They went on at 10:30 EDT while these goldfinches were having a late breakfast. (Actually they just eat all day long.)

IMG_0383.jpg

I'll pull at 195F and update the thread with the total cooking time when they're done.
  • ViennaJack
    OK, here are the results:

At about 10 hours cooking at 250F dome the internal temp was 190. I wAs getting hungry so I pulled one and sliced it, and had some great sliced pork shoulder.

At 13 hours the internal temp on the remaining cut was at 193. Not quite 195 but enough is enough and it's time for bed, so I took the other one up and found it to be quite pullable.

IMG_0386.jpg

The overall verdict - it works just like a whole shoulder, at least it takes almost as long. It is a good way to get a smaller pile of pork. It was a little bit dry but not bad at all, but next time I try this I'll definitely spritz or mop.