Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Best Yet (Boston Butt)

Options
SkySaw
SkySaw Posts: 656
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This 8.5lb butt roasted with a chunk of Hickory and some apple for 12 hours today. I took it off at 192 internal, and wow it was good. I used a rub that was sweet/savoury. Dome temp was around 230. I really love pulled pork on a fresh Costco bun.

This stuff is addictive:

web.jpg

Most of my pulled pork comes out this color. How do you get the meteorite look and bark?

Mark

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I can't seem to get the black look either. No worries, make it taste good and forget the meteorite!

p.s. probably high sugar rub
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    I'm doing MY first butt..8#...today. I put it on at 3 this afternoon. If it comes out half as good looking as yours I'll be happy!
  • SkySaw
    Options
    This pork was truly a taste treat. The rub I used was mostly sugar (brown, white, paprika, a bit of salt and some spices), so the meteorite look must be something else.

I'm not complaining. If all my pulled pork was as good as this one, I would be a happy camper; however, I would like to have the versatility to do something so different.

Mark
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Yeller mustard slather then apply rub! ;)
  • hornhonk
    Options
    Heck, mine will probably come off looking and tasting like an old shoe.
  • hornhonk
    Options
    I knew I forgot something! The mustard! Woe is me....
  • SkySaw
    Options
    hornhonk wrote:
    Heck, mine will probably come off looking and tasting like an old shoe.

Looking forward to pics...
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    Great looking Butt, i have allways used an inverted rib rack to hold the butt up into the dome, maybe that is why my butt cooks dont take very long.
  • SkySaw
    Options
    danny285 wrote:
    Great looking Butt, i have allways used an inverted rib rack to hold the butt up into the dome, maybe that is why my butt cooks dont take very long.

I think putting it high is a good strategy for getting the bottom of the pork away from the drip pan (increasing airflow all around the meat). However, I always go for the grate level because it is lower in temperature, and it is easier to keep the Egg stable around 250 (dome) than it is around 225 (for me, anyway).

Mark
  • hornhonk
    Options
    Mine is on an inverted rib rack and the egg is chugging along at 205. My polder is now reading 159. It has just risen to that temp. Guess it's not in the "zone" yet. It's been on for 8 hrs now. Is it ok to go to bed or should I baby sit the thing? Remember, this is my first butt cook!
  • dougemsmacks
    dougemsmacks Posts: 152
    Options
    I use yeller mustard too and I pull mine out at 192 also. It generally has a good crust and you don't get any mustard taste in it, just the rub.

I don't know if yours stayed at 230° the whole time but mine tends to slowly go up during the cook and midway it's usually 250-260° and buy the end 280°, maybe that is why my bark is good? Either way pulled pork is a favorite here too and is one of the few things the little ones don't pick at.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Nice looking Butt and
    BTThumbsUp.jpg

I f you are wanting a true texas meteorite, you have to do a few things different. Paint you meat in yellow mustard, add a little more sugar to your rub. You must leave the meat on longer to achive the color without drying the meat out. I also don't go higher than 215 grid temp. That is where mopping come in.
    go to http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php and look at method B, mopping. That should help you. :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    You'll be laughing at your negativity tonight.

The Egg is in charge now. Just simply keep an eye on things and take it off at 195*ish. wrap in foil/towel and rest in a cooler for 1-4 hrs.

It will look and taste like most others I'm sure.
  • SkySaw
    Options
    bubba tim wrote:
    Nice looking Butt and
    BTThumbsUp.jpg

I f you are wanting a true texas meteorite, you have to do a few things different. Paint you meat in yellow mustard, add a little more sugar to your rub. You must leave the meat on longer to achive the color without drying the meat out. I also don't go higher than 215 grid temp. That is where mopping come in.
    go to http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php and look at method B, mopping. That should help you. :woohoo: :woohoo:

Thanks for the suggestions and the link. To get the meteorite, I will try a lower pit temp, the mustard slather, and mopping. I might wait until I get a Guru to try maintaining that pit temperature. I suspect that the meteorite method is what helps keep a brisket moist.

Mark
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Mopping is the method, The meteorite is the outcome along with juicy meat. :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP