Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Fruit

Options
pattikake
pattikake Posts: 1,175
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Everyone, :whistle:

I know on fruit, you do direct but at what temp and how long? :huh: I am going to the farmers market tomorrow and see if I can pick up some fresh fruit. My garden has not produced any tomatoes or peppers yet but it will be soon. Thanks a bunch in advance.

Patti
Wichita, KS

Comments

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :) I do pineapple around 400 direct, but after I've cooked the meal and the lump is justtt rriiggghhttt :woohoo:
    did plantains in flambe pan around 500 dome...
    hope that helps B)
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Morticia, my dear, you spoke FRENCH! Growwwlll! Gomez
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :evil: ouiiii!
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    The only fruit I've grilled is pineapple and peaches. Around 400 direct for both. How long? Until done. ;)

Seriously, maybe 10 minutes, turning halfway through. Although it really depends on the fruit itself. Some peaches start falling apart after 5 minutes, others are still pretty firm even after 10.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Dessert, Fruit, Richard Fl

Here is one way I like to do bananas, peaches, pears and apples, pineapple rings or wedges..

BANANAS.jpg

Preparation:
    1/4 cup Turbindo sugar.
    1/2 cup Pecans, Walnuts, Macademia, Almond or combination, Coarsley Chopped
    1/4 cup Coconut Flakes, Coarsley Chopped
    4 Tbs Butter, Melted
    1/2 oz Gran Marnier, Amaretto, Myers Rum, Orange or Banana Liquer, Malibu Coconut Rum, (Your Choice, Optional)
    Dash Cinnamon, Optional
    Whip Cream to Garnish

Procedure:
    1 For an interesting dessert, take the coconut flakes, nuts, turbindo sugar, melted butter, and mix with a little, (your choice) gran marnier, amaretto, or liqueur of choice or orange juice. Mix into a thick paste. Cut bananas in half lengthwise with skin on, (skin is great after heated) peaches or pears. After the main dish is cooked and the BGE is being shutdown. I place the fruit on the grid (skin on) with the mixture covering the fruit and shut the puppy down. 15-25 minutes later, after the main course is finished, the dessert is ready. Top with blueberries, raspberries,whipped cream, ice cream or whatever you prefer.

Recipe Type
    Dessert

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/02/22
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Patti,

We did this grilled pineapple recipe at a party last summer, and it was a huge hit. I got the recipe from Wise One's BGE cookbook (p127) which can be downloaded from the Naked Whiz's web site.

Details on our cook (including a picture of me with a pineapple on my head) can be found on our blog at: http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2008/09/recipe-grilled.html

Grilled%20Pineapple%201.jpg

Is%20this%20a%20good%20idea%203.jpg

To make this, you need:
    1 large pineapple
    1 stick of butter, melted
    1 cup turbinado sugar
    Zest from 1 large lime
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    ¼ teaspoon ground cloves or allspice
    Dark rum (claims to be optional – it isn’t)
    Vanilla ice cream (optional)

To cook, preheat your Egg to 450-500 degrees, cooking direct. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl wide enough to dip a pineapple ring in. Peel and core the pineapple, and cut into slices about 1/2" thick. Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Dip each slice in the butter, then dip into the sugar mixture, coating both sides. Grill the slices for about 5 minutes per side, or until they are browned or slightly charred. Remove from the Egg and plate individually ON A CERAMIC PLATE. Pour a bit of dark rum in the center of each ring, go outside, and light the rum with a match. Not only is this fun, it looks really cool too. Try not to light anything else on fire.

You can serve with some ice cream on the side, though it honestly didn't need it.

Enjoy!

-John
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    B) Capt'n Morgan's Spiced Rum works, too
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    WOW,
    Banana skins on, who would have thought.

Have to give it a try.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I did pears the other night with ginger, balsamic vineagar, honey and soy sauce. they were great however I did it as an after thought so I just I balled it for temp and time. I did place the fruit part face down for the grill marks and then turnt them over for the remainder.
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Everyone

That sounds great will have to try it. I bought the sugar today finally found it at a spice store. Thanks for the reicpes.

Thank You :)

Patti
    Wichita, KS