Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Jerky guidance....

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, I' was thinking I'd like to make some jerky but have no real idea where to start... does anyone have some advice or perhaps some web info that I can begin to learn from?[p]

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    jerky.jpg
    <p />Nardi,
    Go to Gfw's website and get his River City recipe. It is a good starter but you add or delete for your own tastes.
    I cook mine about 8 hours at 160-190 indirect using Jack Daniels chips.[p]CWM

• Banker John
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    How do you get your cooker to go that low? I have a hard time going below 190-200?[p]Also, have you/anyone ever tried to grind the meat, blend in the spices and press the jerky into a tube (like a hot dog) and then cook it down? I'm going to try it this weekend. I talked to my butcher and he is going to make up 8#'s of links to cook down. We'll see how it turns out. It is a test to see if he has a market for the premade links seasoned & ready for smoking into jerky.[p]Banker John

• Car Wash Mike,
    Thanks... after looking I still have a few questions about specifics....[p]1) Is there a best cut of meat to use (Gfw seemed to use Brisket)?[p]2a) When slicing it... what are good dimensions for the raw meat (I am assuming there will be a good deal of shrinkage over the cooking period)?[p]2b) Should I trim most of the fat off or does it help in the cook some way?[p]3) How to store it? Will this give me a cured product that can be kept at room temp or do I need to refrigerate?[p]Thanks... [p][p]

• Nardi,
    1: It depends on your taste. Brisket is good, my butcher uses only "pectoral" (near the brisket, but not quite as grainy). I've used several cuts, and generally end up back with brisket, cut at about 45 degrees to the grain.[p]2: I try for about a quarter inch thick slices. I like to keep them on the long side because I now hang my jerky from a raised grid. Stirring the jerky gives me a less appealing jerky (looks kinda "dusty") and is more work in the long run.[p]2b: Definitely get rid of any visible fat. The fat is what can go rancid in jerky. You can get away with some fat, or even a fatty cut of meat, but it's not really quite jerky and you should eat it up quick. That's not usually a problem![p]3: I store mine in the fridge, just in case. Also, I never really have it around longer than a week or so. It's too dang tasty! Many jerky recipes are *not* cured. This is important to keep in mind: if it does not specifically call for the actual act of curing, or at least have cure (Nitrates and Nitrites) in the recipe, it will not be any more preserved than any other dried up hunk of meat.[p]Have fun, and egg-speriment! My worst jerky ever on the egg was still a popular treat in my house![p]bc

• Car Wash Mike,[p]I'm dying to know how you maintain a temp of 160 - 190 on the EGG.[p]I can do it on another smoker, but have yet to be able to maintain anything lower than 210 on the EGG's.[p]Inquiring minds want to know.[p]LVM

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    LVM,
    I've never had a problem. I light a couple handfulls of lump then add more after it is lite and before you put jerky on. Soaked wood chips bring the temp down also. I open up both vents just a hair and cook.
    I'll try to pay more attention next time.[p]CWM

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Nardi,
    I use rump roast most often. If I find a brisket flat at a decent price I use it sometimes.
    I go for 1/4 inch slices and cut out all the fat I can.
    When I do a huge batch 10+lbs, I'll use food saver bags and place in fridge.
    Smaller quantites never last.
    Enjoy,[p]CWM

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    banker john,
    Wally World has a jerky kit that uses ground meat that you put in the tube and then press out.
    Someone posted about it a few years ago. I also think Cabelas has one.[p]CWM

• the Fat Man
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Try the BBQ Guru. It can get down to 100 according to the owner and maintain it. Have not tried it yet but assurances were made and everything the company has promised has come through in spades!
    As of this writing the guru folks now through the 29th of August are offering the guru at more than 10% off. First time they have done it and they are going to experiment. Mention Chef and the Fat Man to get the discount.