Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Killing bacteria in the marinade?

Pancakes
Pancakes Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody have a good time limit for boiling marinade to kill off the baddies? I forgot to set some aside for basting some wings?

Comments

• According to my wife, who is the chef in the family (outside of the Egg), 3-5 minutes at a full boil should be sufficient.

-John
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Why take that chance? Toss it and make new.
  • Pancakes
    Pancakes Posts: 45
    Thanks again, I appreciate the help. Tell the chef I appreciate it. Next time I will leave just enough to coat the wings and set aside the rest. I plan on finishing direct so if any gets left over (baddies) I think the heat should burn it out. I will let you guys and gals know if it turns out adverse for me. Marines can eat anything though.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    I know to make water safe to drink it is a rolling boil for 5 minutes. I think I've heard the same for reused marinades.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Oh, you won't have to tell us, we'll know. Apparently you have never gotten sick from uncooked chicken.
  • You just need to bring it to a boil, however, I let it boil for at least 2 to 3 Minutes.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    it is perfectly acceptable to marinate chicken wings or whatever, take them out, and then boil the marinade to thicken it and kill off any bacteria. it's common, and something that you'll see all the time on foodTv, etc.

just getting it to boil is more than enough. most times the boiling is more to thicken it than to kill bacteria.

technically, you can hold something at 160 or better for about 20 seconds, and it's safe. going way beyond that, to a boil, is literally overkill.

don't toss it. there is no need.

people are confusing the issue. you don't want to re-use (as in, put new meat in after taking out the marinated meat) marinade. but you certainly can keep using it for that same cook.

another point to understand about bacteria is that although high temps kill off bacteria, that does NOT mean that you can take a piece of meat that has gone bad (bacterially) and make it safe by cooking it. toxins remain.

but if that meat is safe, heating it will kill the bacteria and keep them from multiplying and making toxins
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Louis Pasteur says 145F for 30 minutes, or 161F for 20 seconds, with lower and lower time limits as the temperature rises.

boiling is no-brainer, ultra safe
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante