Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If you had $250 to spend ???

Ex-Gasman
Ex-Gasman Posts: 287
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If you had that money , what would you buy? I am looking for either a Guru or Stoker. But also would like to have accessories like the rig or spider or woo. I am leaning toward the Guru. I have done 2 long cooks, one which my fire went out and ruined 20 lbs of meat. And the other which I had to reload lump after about 12 hrs and it did start out filled up to the top of the firebox. Maybe I am using the wrong lump. Comes from Walmart Royal Oak, or was I adjusting the vents too much. Just couldnt get a long burn time, I did notice that the lump was not big pieces.

Comments

• AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    I would go for the Rig/Spider combo or maybe even the Woo3. I don't have a electronic monitoring device yet, but if you stack lump and light properly and don't over adjust vents you will be fine. Plus it is only half as much and then you can save the half and get the Q later.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I vote for the rig/spider combo as well. You'll be much more versatile. I've learned to cook just about everything on the top level of the rig and am much happier with my results.

Learn to use your egg before you buy a temp control device. Use it to supplement your skills, not supplant them. You'll be much happier in the long run.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    You are not filling the lump high enough in the egg or you do not have the lump well light.

Many, many eggers do long and very long cooks 24 hours and longer on a large.

I love both the digiQ II and the Stoker. But with the choices in order.

1. Adjustable Rig and Spider I use these 99% of my egg cooks. These also give me a lot of options for cooking, direct, indirect, Dutch Oven, Skillet, Pizza and while you are at it add a Wok.

2. This should be included in the above. Maverick ET-73 Redi Check which has a remote receiver (this can be used with either the stoker or q2.

2. DigiQ2 or Stoker - I have them both, use them both and like them both. I use the Maverick every time I use the q2 and if I don't connect the Stoker to my intranet I use the Maverick once in a while the Stoker.

For 40 bucks the Maverick will audio alert you if the pit temperature is too low or too high. It will also audio alert you when the food is at temperature.

GG
  • If you go the adjustable rig and spider route also invest in a Thermapen and a remote thermometer like the Mavrick ET73. They are inexpensive and will alarm when your temps go out of range high or low. They will also monitor your meat temps. I picked two up for $39. each. Now I sleep a little better at night.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    "If you had that money , what would you buy?"

A good bottle of wine, a prime steak, and a dessert that would give you a heart attack. :laugh: :laugh:
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    I'd go with the rig and spider also. I love the guru but have done 20 hour cooks on both eggs with the guru in only one with no problems. Also that leaves some change for food, nothing worse than a hot empty egg :( :laugh:
  • What size egg? U should not be running out of wood on long cooks. the large will go for at least 20 hours, however it could be as you said that you are trying to adjust it to much. I was told once you get it to the approximate temp that you want sit back and watch it for awhile and then only make minor adjustments.

if you do a lot of long cooks I would recommend you go with the DIIg11
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i'd spend it on meat, since my egg seems to be one of the few that can go all night without the need of wires and fans :whistle:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    what fidel said.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    If you are going to long cooks, you need the Guru

Ross
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I'll add my vote for the Adjustable Rig and associated items like the Spider and drip pan. I once thought I needed electronics, but I'm questioning that now after a long cook with 43# of meat and no temperature issues.

The AR is a great product that will give you tremendous flexibility in your cooks, not to mention capacity.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    you could spend a bit less at guru and buy the pitminder (their least expensive model). It does just the egg temp and would save you some money for other accessories.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    DigiQ. Hands-down. One of my friends ordered a Stoker, and had mucho problemas from day one. His case may have been isolated, but it sure stopped me (and others) from ever looking at their stuff again.

One thing you'll notice here, too, is that lots of folks mention BBQ Guru--apparently, they've got a nice, long running track record for great gear. Can't argue with that.

If you do a lot of low-and-slow, I'd highly recommend the DigiQ. Of course, you'll also need an Adjustable Rig, a Spider, a Thermapen, a MAPP gas torch, eternal life...
  • If enternal life is on the $250 list that's what I'll take ;)

Doug
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Without reading the entire thread, I have to agree with Fidel. We went 12 years with our egg without any type of stoker device. Yes...it is nice to have, but the egg is more than capable of doing it, too. Learn the Egg first...then when you have a power failure, you'll be the envy of the neighborhood!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :laugh: ;)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    use good lump, learn to stack it and light it and use the money for a the rig and spider :)you wont be sorry :)
  • ILL--EGGER
    ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
    I would buy the guru and keep the ceramicgrillstore.com web page on speed dial for next time a birthday/holiday pops up and people ask what your wanting, you can lean them in that direction as those items are a little less pricey and more attractive as gifts. Not to mention, you WILL own all of it within the next 12 months anyway :laugh: .
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    I was faced with the same choice when we started Egging just over a year ago. We bought the Adjustable Rig and Spider and a Thermapen and, just recently, added a Maverick. So far the longest cook I've done was about 8 hours. We've put the money aside for a DigiQ II but are holding off until I realize after the fact that a cook would have been easier or more successful with it.