Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE Owner

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a new BGE owner, having purchased a used BGE with no instructions. How do I find out about the basics, such as amount and type of charcoal, lighting procedures, temperature control, indirect methods, smoking methods, seasoning the BGE, etc.?

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Todd,
    Welcome to the wonderful world of egging. All you need to do is ask here and someone will help you. Some good sites to start out at are Tims (http://www.tm52.com/bge/index.html) and the Naked Whizs (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/bge.htm). Both of those sites have loads of info for beginners. [p]As for your questions you asked:
    1. Charcoal-use natural lump charcoal. We fill ours up just above the holes in the firebox for regular cooking. For overnighters, we fill up to the firering. Naked Whiz has a lump review section that would be good to read. We use Real Flavor from Walmart the most, and BGE lump second. Do not use briquettes.
    2. We ligt ours with a MAPP torch. This is like propane, but it burns hotter. Just a few spots at various points in the lump, and its on its way. Others use electric starters, chimneys, or starter cubes (cubes or sticks of sawdust bound together with wax).
    3. You should have gotten a thermometer with your BGE. If you didn't, I would go buy one. To control the temp you adjust the bottom slide door, and the metal daisey wheel on the top. If you didn't get one of those either, get one of those too.
    4. To cook indirect you have several choices. You can use simply a foil drip pan, or if you want more ceramic mass, you can use a platesetter or a pizza stone, or some firebricks.
    5. To smoke use dry chunks of wood. Some people use chips, but I think they burn up too quick.
    6. You don't need to season the BGE. Just have fun and enjoy it. One page to definately read is the page on flashbacks on the Naked Whiz's site. [p]Hope this helps some. [p]~nikki

• Washog
    Washog Posts: 58
    Todd,
    You've come to the right place. I'll start with a few basics and I'm sure you will have a ton of people chime in with some more.[p]1st anm probably most important, you only want to burn LUMP Charcoal in your egg. Never burn briquettes. I'm not sure the reason but I do no it is a definate NO NO.[p]2nd Because you will always have lump left over after a cook, unless you do an butt, you need some sort of ash tool and stir the charcoal then add some more to the desired level. You want to at least have enough charcoal to cover the little vent holes around the fire box. Whenever I'm ready to fire up the egg, I stir the coals first then I fill it to dang near the top of the firexbox or a few inches below the bottom of the fire ring which is what your cooking grate sits on. Another note, do not store you lump charcoal outside. It will draw moisture which causes it to not burn properly. [p]3rd As far as lighting, I use an electric starter. I simply put the starter on the coals, add some lump over the top of starter, then plug it in. In six minutes I uplug and remove the starter, then I close the lid. If I'm doing an indirect cook, I will set up prior to closing the lid. As soon as I close the lid, I open my daisy wheel vents wide open. ( If your egg only has a cap and not a cap that can be adjusted, "daisy wheel" IMMEDIATELY go and get a daisy wheel. Now if I'm cooking something and shooting for a temerature of say 250 degrees, it won't take long so I do not stray very far away. Once the thermometer on the dome gets within 20 degrees or so of my target temp., I begin to adjust my lower vent and daisy wheel. Once you do a few cooks, you will have an idea of how much opening you need for certain temps. On my egg, 250 degrees is daisy wheels are close a bit over half and the bottom ven is open just under an inch. If I'm doing a high temp cook for steaks and such, the only thing I do different is when I close the lid, I completely remove the cap or daisy wheel. It usually takes around 15 minutes to have my dome temp reach 600 to 700 degrees which is where I like to do my steaks. [p]I'll let someone else cover the different methods of cooking. One thing I would suggest is you go and get the basic accessories. A daisy wheel is an absolute must! No way can you control the temps without one. Some sort of ash tool, an extension rack, a good set of tongs, meat thermometer and a good oven mit. If you are going to do any indirect cooks, you will need a "BGE" plate setter and if you ever want to do Pizzas, they are kinda fun, you will need a BGE pizza stone. Make sure you buy the BGE brands. This forum is full of horror stories of people who have used pampered chef and other brand pizza stones. Only the BGE handles the high temps. Anyway, these are the absolute basics imo. [p]Finally, this forum is the best thing in the world for a newbie. When I first started egging, several years ago, there were times when I would be in the middle of a cook, have something come up, come here and post it, and have an answer almost immediately. So just relax, have fun. You are about to experience and use what I and many others think is one of the best things you will ever own.

• Washog
    Washog Posts: 58
    Washog,[p]I noticed upon reading my post there may need to be some clarification on the venting and daisy wheel. ( I wish this forum had an option for us to go and edit our posts ) In the 3rd section where I talk about the daisy wheel, I didn't explain what the daisy wheel was. It is simply the cap that sits over the 4 or 5 inch opening of the lid. Like I posted, you can adjust it. [p]Also, when lighting the egg, I always have the bottom vent fully open. If I'm shooting for a certain temp., once my dome thermomter starts approaching my target temp of within 20 degrees, I start to close and adjust vents accordingly. Also, you don't want to allow you egg to go too far beyond your cooking temp., because it will take quite awhile for the temperature to come down. [p]I know, clear as mud. Sorry.
  • Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Todd,[p]You will enjoy your new purchase. Just browse thru the Forum, including archives, and you will quickly get the hang of fire building, times and temps etc. Locate Bill Wise's cookbook and peruse the recipes. Even if you don't make the recipes, you will gain tips and tricks for using your egg.[p]Welcome.[p]Carl T

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Todd,
    Best way to buy one, the instructions that come with are fiction. you will find all the instructions right here all formulated from experience.

• Todd,[p]You’ll love your new second-hand Egg. Like all incredibly fun things, there are unwritten rules for safety – the three that come to mind in order of importance are as follows:[p]1. You will inevitably rev your Egg up past 400-500 degrees for some purpose and then close the vents to reduce the combustion. You have now effectively trapped some super-heated fuel within the egg – don’t open it (repeat, don’t simply lift the lid). Whoosh effectively describes the sound it makes when you do this and it is probably kind of dangerous. There s a perfectly good example of this on the NakedWiz’s web site if you have intense curiosity.
    To open your Egg in this situation, first open the top vent wide, then the bottom and give it a time to vent the heat and fuel (maybe 20 seconds). Then proceed to opening the lid slowly. I mention this not to create fear, only healthy respect.[p]2. When using propane or Mapp, be prepared to get a little sparking. If you are furry like me, short sleeves and a couple of beers do not make a good combination. Seriously though, eyeglasses are really a pretty good idea.[p]3. That green ceramic lid that probably came with your new toy does not always stay on when you open the lid. Use a daisy wheel for cooking and use the green rain-hat for snuffing out the fire after a cook. If you do not have a daisy wheel lid, there are inexpensive ways around having to buy one, but it is much more fun to Q with one and a great deal less hassle.[p]Just three points from someone that has experienced all three