Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Trout suggestions needed

GrillMeister
GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've smoked whole trout many times on an old Weber water pan smoker, and now have the hankerin to give it a whirl on my new BGE.[p]I did pick up some fire bricks so I can do it indirect, but does anyone else have some suggestions.[p]Smoked trout on a Ritz tastes great hot or cold.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
Austin, Texas

Comments

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    trout1.jpg
    <p />GrillMeister,[p]This is how I do mine. I think I'll do some this weekend now that you mention it. Thanks for the reminder.[p]Chuck[p]
    [ul][li]Smoked Trout[/ul]
  • Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    GrillMeister,[p]It's so easy on the BGE. No water, no pan, no bricks. Just raise up the grid and slap on some celery or green onion across the grid bars, to support the fish. Slather the whole trout inside and out with season salt, or whatever. [p]Smoke it for an hour at 250. Don't turn it or fuss with it. I like plenty of wood chips, but suit yourself. If you let the temp creep up toward 300, it'll get crispy, but it'll stick to the grid, too. So I just leave it alone at 250.[p]Lift it off onto a plate with a couple of spatulas. You can fillet it with a butter knife. Just cut off the tail and run the knife from the tail toward the head, along the spine. The bones lift right out. [p]Phenomenal as cold leftovers, too. The smoke flavor gets more intense the next day, somehow.
  • GrillMeister
    Thanks for the suggestions! This forum is great! My brisket has about 2 beers to go till it's ready!

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister,
    I do these all the time for my wife. I stuff the inside w/ cornbread stuffing, and rap about 4 strips of bacon around it's back. Leave the head on...more flavor. Cook it about 300 for about 10 min. a side and then close top and bottom for about 3 min. Enjoy

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    GrillMeister,
    I do much of what Prof Dan does. One hour direct at 250° with lots of alder wood for smoke. I do turn mine with spatulas around half way through the cook. I like Raging River rub from Dizzy Pig and a little lemon pepper for seasoning.

• GrillMeister
    Prof Dan,[p]4 Trout are resting nicely on a raised grill in a nest of green onions at 250 degrees. 12 minutes to go and here comes a thounderstorm. It's been raining for 20 minutes and the BGE is holding the temp like a champ.[p]Now if I can only get them off the grill without getting them and me soaked.[p]Thanks for all the tips.[p]GrillMeister
    Austin, TX

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas