Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rare egg is in the incubator waiting to hatch

Aussie_Hugh
Aussie_Hugh Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all,[p]Well I have been boring you with theory questions about the egg for a while now. Well I am happy to announce that that theory is now about to become reality. Why? Well there is a large egg in the incubator waiting to hatch next week. This is no ordinary egg. It is a rare Australian egg. Same family as the more common Canadian and USA eggs. But definitely a rarity down on our southern Aussie shores.[p]I finally ‘bit the bullet’ so to speak dug deep into my tax refund and went to BBQ Galore and ordered a large egg this morning. I could not beat them down in price, which was a shame. Anyway I have ordered some of their charcoal (that is all there is), apple, hickory and mesquite chips (chunks are not available here), an instant read thermometer and perforated wok.[p]It has a spring-loaded lid and a cast iron grate (thanks to this forum I was warned about avoiding a ceramic grate). The nest looks pretty solid, better than the earlier flimsy ones.[p]So thanks again for the words of wisdom. No doubt I'll be hounding you for more after the hatching.[p]Cheers,
Hugh.

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    AussieHugh,
    Sounds to me like you are now on the road to the promised land. Life will be better.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• AussieHugh,[p]Congratulations, mate :) You won't be disappointed! It's a good thing to know that if my ceramic grate breaks into a million pieces, I'd be able to have it replaced with a cast iron grate. I also better check out Barbeques Galore, because I've been looking for some kind of fish grill without much success, so I'll probably go the perforated wok as the next best thing![p]Stuckeydude
  • Hey Stuckeydude,[p]Good to see you have dragged yourself away from the paperwork and are having a flick through the forum.[p]Yep we'll be able to send some smoke signals now, although whenever you fire up your egg it seems to rain!!![p]Actually I was a little surprised that BBQ Galore had the wok and instant read thermometer. They also had a vertical chook roaster which I forgot to buy.[p]The wok I got is a flat one. Like you I had fish in mind as well as vegies.[p]I bought some of their lump - red gum. I am not sure what other lump is available in Oz but I thought that the shops that sell Weber gear may have a different brand. Also one of the posts suggested restaurants, we have a few Charcoal Chicken shops around here so one day I may ask them what lump they use.[p]Will catch up later.[p]Cheers,
    Hugh.