Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calling all you Pizza Guru's

Options
Pancakes
Pancakes Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well gang, here it goes.

I could use some Pizza Love. This is my third attempt at cooking pizza and for some reason my results were okay, but sub-par at best. I have tried many different temps and times, but to no avail. Usually my wife cooks her pie first, and it is always the best one. I will start from scratch so I can reclaim my throne. I can't have this going on for long and still retain my manhood grilling posture.

We buy the dough from a pizza joint down the street, from store to grill it is usually about 45 mins to one hour. We roll it out to about 1/4 inch maybe more in thickness. Just wide enough to cover the pizza stone on the large. We go just a little heavy on the toppings but not so much that the pizza doesn't come off the wheel. Now for the important part, the temps.

The first attempt was at 550 degrees and the first pizza came off in about 8-9 minutes. Maybe a little longer, but it was good. She was happy. I threw mine on and after prep and stoking, the stone had probably soaked up a lot of heat in between pies. I now know, after many forum searches, that I should wipe it down with a damp rag. I cooked mine at a lower temp, prob 475-500 for less time and the crust was a brick.

So the second attempt, same results. First pie was great, hers' again, and mine was still a brick. This time the temp was lower, at the 475 - 500 mark. I wiped the stone down and still got a rock hard crust.

Today I preheated the LBGE and started mine first this time. 500 degrees at the start and added the pizza. At 6 1/2 mins the bottom was black, and the top undercooked. I had to finish it off in the broiler. Somewhat degrading. She just threw hers on and wiped down the stone. I will post the results later.

What gives? I am very open to suggestions and will take any and every bit advice my fellow Eggheads are willing to offer. Thanks guys and gals.

Pancakes,
New Bern, NC

Comments

• hawkegg
    hawkegg Posts: 97
    Options
    What is the set up. I use the platesetter legs down. Put the green egg feet on top and rest the pizza stone on the feet. That way air is between the platesetter and the pizza stone. I wipe it off with a damp rag and get good results each time!!
    good luck! Once you figure it out you will amaze your friends with your talents!!!
  • hawkegg
    hawkegg Posts: 97
    Options
    by the way crust is simple to make! If you are interested I can post a link to a crust recipe I use. I think by tyler florence from the food network.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Hawkegg,

I use the platesetter legs down, the grate and the ceramic feet and a pizza stone. I usually put the stone on there when the coals are sparkling red and let it preheat for about 30 mins or so.

Update; the wife just pulled hers off and it was great, again. I humbly sang her praise and have gave her the duty of handling pizza's for the next time. As I was posting I remembered the damp cloth technique and told her it might be a good idea. She had it all, firm and slightly crispy crust, cooked toppings and melted cheese.

I must practice some more. Next time I will try it with the legs down, definitely wipe down the stone, and try for a lower temp.

Thanks hawkegg.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Hawkegg, post away the link. I don't have a mixer yet and the dough is only $2.00 a ball for a 12 inch but I love to cook and try new recipes so go for it.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I did pizza tonight. 475 plate setter legs up with the grate and then the stone. I use Zippies pizza dough. easy and good wether I do thick or thin. tonight I used left over steak from the other night and fine chopped onions. and lots of cheese :) all on a thin layer of red sauce. I cook at lower temps because I tend to have a thick crust. I just use a sprinkling of corn meal on the peal and slide onto the bare stone.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Definitely going to try a lower temp next time. Julie is glowing right now because I told her vegetarians don't know too much about cooking on a grill.

She laughed and offered me a slice of "her" pizza.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Based on my own experience, it is really hard to make heads or tails of your experience, but here are three thoughts.

1. It is really better to stretch the dough than to roll it out. Rolling puts much more work into the dough and it completely collapses the bubbles in the dough that give it the spring when you bake it. If you and your wife are each rolling his/her dough, you could be a bit more aggressive and this would make it harder when cooked.

2. Be sure that you put the plate setter and the pizza stone in the Egg when you light it and let it come up to temp with the Egg. If you put it in later, I am convinced that you will see a recovery in the dome temp before you are stabalized on the stone.

3. I am convinced it helps to use something to put some space between the plate setter and the piza stone. I use 1 1/4" copper, pipe couplings and this pushes the stone about 1 1/2" up into the dome and the reflected heat, off the dome helps cook the top, even with the bottom.

FWIW, I do not wipe my stone with a damp cloth, but I do use parchment.
  • Eggscriber
    Eggscriber Posts: 276
    Options
    Hey, it sounds to me that your stone is getting too hot also. You are using a plate setter... right? without it, some radiant heat from the coals will warm your stone above the ambient air temperature. Perhaps if you raise your stone high above the plate setter with a raised grid or adjustable grid it won't get above 550. Perhaps your crust is too thin and will inevitably cook before your toppings? Maybe fewer toppings and/or a thicker crust will work better?