Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Competition Eggs

usa doug
usa doug Posts: 96
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As more and more competition cooks are using eggs in their cooking, has anyone came up with a good idea on how to mount a cooker on a trailer or know of a safe way to transport these babies?[p]usa doug

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    usadoug,[p]Wish I knew the answer to that Doug, been thinking about it a LOT myself. I know DrBBQ has a small space in his trailer that he carries his and sets it out each time he gets to a site, not permanently attached to the trailer. Other than the back of a truck where they wont move around much I cant think of a good way to keep them mounted onto the trailer and ensure that they wont move or shift. You looking to add one to your setup Doug? You going to be in Madison, WI in a couple of weeks? See you there if so, judging that competition. I'll stop by and say hi when we get in.[p]Troy
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    usadoug,[p]I think it was JSlot who had several eggs mounted on a truck. Maybe he'll post a picture![p]Smokey

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    usadoug,
    We strapped two in the back of a pickup truck, and four in a 5x8 uhaul. They ones in the truck travelled extremely well. The ones in the trailer got bounced around a little because the road (route 9) across the bottom of Vermont was torn up in the strangest construction project I have ever seen. It was dark, dark, dark, and the road would suddenly end and we'd be on rough dirt, then back on pavement then back on dirt with no warning. The signs were plentiful, but made no sense. Vermonters I spoke with laughed, and seemed to know what I was talking about.[p]Anyway, had not been for the 4-wheeling, they would have travelled much better! The cookers did not move (except for up/down bouncing), and the cookers themselves were not damaged. Though a couple fireboxes that were cracked managed to work into two pieces. I would think if you could pad the fireboxes before packing up the cookers, that would really help if rough road is expected.[p]I would post a picture, but my website is hosted on Ray Bassos server, which seems to be down.[p]Beers Doug
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    It wasn't me, Smokey. I'm working on a setup, though. I'm looking at an enclosed cargo trailer with side rails and floor mounted tie-downs. The Eggs, in their nests, can be tied down by running a flat strap between the dome and the bottom without any damage to the felt and then another strap around the Eggs holding them to the side/front rail. I think I'm going to end up with an 8' x 16' model with rear door and side door. The six Eggs will ride in the front of the trailer. That will leave plenty of room for all the other gear stacked in Rough Totes, portable sink, tent poles hanging from the roof etc. It's going to be a little while, but I will post pics. I've already registered the ol' team name- Big Green Eggomaniacs. Hope to see you guys out there!!!![p]Jim
  • usa doug
    sprinter,
    I will be in Lebanon Tn, Oldham in Crestwood Ky, Visionland in Birmingham Al, Cookeville Tn, Decatur Al, Manchester Tn, Eggtoberfest in Atlanta, maybe the KC Royal and hopefully Jack Danial.[p]I want to mount the egg in a permanent position on my trailer.[p]

• usadoug,
    I have 4 ceramic cookers mounted in a trailer on two tables we welded together, they have traveled well for us so far. It is set up so they stay where they are when cooking. I'll try to get some pictures for you if you like.
    Jim

• JSlot
    I'd like to see some pics, too, Jim. I'd be happy to post 'em if you don't have the capability.[p]Jim
  • Glad to see this discussion.I'm a new egger and was not to sure about transporting. I called the store and they reccomended putting the shipping cardboard back inside. The one thing I didn't save. I took the insides out, wrapped them in a quilt,and laid them on the floor of the trailer. I covered the egg with a moving quilt, put a pillow between it and the wall, and crossed strapped to the trailer wall.
    At the contest one rode up in a pickup in it's table. I thought maybe I'd over killed in my set up but I didn't want to chance hurting the Egg!!

• Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Nature Boy,
    With my travels for work I need to go that route (Route 9) on a weekly basis.....it's horrible and during working hours the delays are long also....I must say I can't understand whay they are doing what they are.....

• JSlot,
    I'll take some pictures and get them posted or send them to you.
    What I did was build two nest (each nest holds 2 cookers) but used metal for the frame and bolted it into the trailer. Both sides of the trailer open up so you can cook from both sides. The one thing I'm still looking to do is find stainless sheet to cover the table top. This also makes teardown real easy at the end of the competition.
    Jim

• JSlot
    That sounds good, Jim. Easy breakdown is always a plus after a long competition cook. Did you say your Eggs stay on the trailer all the time?
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    usadoug,[p]Will you make us some Alabama white sauce pizza at eggfest?
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • usa doug
    drbbq,
    I'll make the white sauce, you put it on anything you like. It is good on a lot of stuff.[p]If we are plaving orders, I would like a Philly cheese steak!

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    sprinter,
    There's a nother competition in Madison Wi. in a couple of weeks? When and where?
    Thanks Bob

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Painter,[p]Sorry, Madison, INDIANA, my mistake. Ribberfest. Looks like its going to be a great competition and a fun weekend of events. Looking forward to it.[p]Sorry for the misprint.[p]Troy
  • Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    sprinter, That's quite alright., I thought maybe the first one wasn't a great hit with the public so they'd try again. LOL
    They need to coincide it with other events. Now if they would have waited three weeks this festival was right across the street from the competition. Now these two events would go hand in hand.
    I hope they do again.

[ul][li]Madison Blues Festival[/ul]
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Toe 49,[p]It's the craziest road construction I've ever seen.
    We finally had to stop the truck, get out, take a picture of the dang thing, scratch our heads and laugh.[p]Absolutely no rhyme or reason to it......... I feel for ya, man![p]John

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    4wheelin.jpg
    <p />WooDoggies,
    Ya can't tell much in the shot....but you know for sure something is goin' on![p]Those signs were wacky. Very twilight zonish.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Teardown,next to cleaning up when you get home,is the worst part of the trip.I keep trying to make it simple but it don't seem to work. One of the MIM cookers told me he finally got it to the point where all he had to do once he got home was wash out the coolers.Of course he had a several thousand dollar set up. Nice!! Again let me say THANKS to you and all the other forum folks. I know I say this a lot but being a rookie egger you sharing your knowledge and experince save a lot of time , wasted product, and frustration. Poppasam

• usadoug,
    I haven't seen this used with the BGE but around here they take "tailgating" at football games real serious. There are BBQ pits designed on a stand with legs/wheels that can be "plugged into" the sleeve where you normally would put your trailer hitch. After the table/BBQ pit is lifted and mounted in the trailer hitch sleeve the legs are removed. The BBQ pit then rides behind the truck and used in place at the game. Just a thought. Marty

• JSlot,
    Four stay on the trailer all the time I have couple more for the deck.
    Jim

• JSlot
    You've got my brain going, Jim. That's not a good thing most of the time. LOL. Do you have the Eggs opening to the inside of the trailer? After thinking about it, setting the Eggs low on the trailer would put them about the right height to cook from the ground on each side (i.e. opening out). With some type of side rail that could be removed or lowered 90° to make a shelf, this could be a pretty workable setup. Do you see any problems with something like that?[p]Jim
  • JSlot,
    Both sides of the trailer open and we did figure the height so we could cook comfortably. Still working on the shelves, there not in place yet. You are on the right track.
    Jim

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Sounds like a good project for "Monster Garage" or am I the only one who watches that show? LOL