Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza crust

Options
KcLeaf
KcLeaf Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I posted the other day about my pizza crust being a little over done. I like it softer. somebody responded that i should add more oil. However the receipe i used that i got from the forum is
2 cups high gluten flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 4 tsp sugar, 1 tsp instant yeast, 3/4 water. how much oil do you add to soften the crust? Why is high gluten flour better? started off at 500 , second pizza at 400 or so. dome, top not quite as done, too crunchy or over done bottom was the problem.
thanks
keith

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    hey Keith I did not see your post, but were you indirect for your set up? I do 400 - 425 for our pizzas and use Zippies crust. I have been very happy with it. someone posted another version of it last night I think if you scroll down the posts. they used beer instead of the water. I have my plate setter legs up and then the grill and the stone on it. I end up with a nice chewy crust golden brown on the bottom. also I use AP flour or bread flour what ever I have in the cupboard.
  • Arya Stark
    Options
    I haven't made a pizza on my Egg yet, but I've done plenty of baking in my life. I never use the packaged instant yeast-- I buy the big box of brewer's yeast (it's all Saccharomyces cerevisiae). The only water I use in my dough is the cup I activate the yeast in (so, around 3/4c?); I add maybe half a cup, 2/3 cup of olive oil? (I don't measure, sorry.) You'll know your dough is good when it's got a nice springy texture, and the surface is nice and glisteny.

If it's not the egg, your dough might be too dry because of how you're letting it rise. Make sure to cover the dough with a nice damp towel; don't use paper towels.

Good luck!
  • doccjb
    doccjb Posts: 238
    Options
    I'll second the legs up technique. I tried it on my last pizzas and the crust came out much better. Previously, I had been charring them.