Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Rack Question

Options
MikeTek
MikeTek Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up a generic rib rack at my local BBQ Store. It seemed like a decent low cost alternative to the BGE V-Rack. I'm using it this morning and it appears as if the slabs like to lay over at the ends. It looked like the sides were just as tall as the BGE version. I'm curious, did I screw myself over by not buying the BGE version? Is it okay if the slabs kind of flop over at the ends?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Comments

• Chef Boyaree
    Chef Boyaree Posts: 150
    Options
    it's ok as far as the ribs are concerned... you might end up w/ a little more of a mess though...
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    It is ok that they flop over and in fact I us the rack that came with my alclad roasting pan to hold my ribs
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    e785affc.jpg

b0aa2307.jpg

Dave Klose has some really nice ones, they are angled for more head room in the pit, and to let the juices run down, the sides are tall enough to give good support without curling. And they are all stainless steel. I bought mine years ago, and even though I would rather cook a rack or slab flat, they do come in handy on occasion. (I think the price has almost doubled on these, so that may now be a big factor)

SouthernSteamerRack.jpg

Southern Steamer makes some heavy weight 9 rack ones, but I think they would need to be cut down in depth for a large Egg.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    The ribs won't mind at all

On their side
    101_2703800x600.jpg

Flat
    101_2510640x480.jpg

Double Decker Flat with fire bricks
    101_1853640x480.jpg