Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spider / Woo Help Please

Kansasegger
Kansasegger Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thinking of getting a spider or woo and grid for my Large BGE.

I would like to be able to use a cast iron grid (sear steaks) and and cast iron griddle (blacken fish) and a grip on top to finish cooks.

Also, is there a way to set up a two tier cooks for multiple butts or butt and brisket?

Where do I start to figure out what I need?

Sorry to be so naive, but really interested in the set-up options

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Call Tom Vogds

www.ceramicgrillstore.com

and he can discuss the options with you...honestly once you have these products your cooking combos are almost limitless....
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    As far as the spider. I have blackened a little fish lately. The CI skillet came from either Wally World or a Kitchen Outlet store at the Lake of The Ozarks. either way really nice to have.
    catfish011.jpg

They make an extended grid for butts or other cooks. Or Tom has a 3 tier rack.

Mike
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    When I called tjv at the Ceramic Grill Store, link in vidalia1's post I was advised to get the Adjustable Rig and Spider rather then the Woo.

One of the two best accessories for the egg I have.

When you decide also get the Wok at the same time. It is inexpensive and can ship with the larger items.

Also, look at the extra grids and support bars for the grids.

Let us know what you end up getting.

GG
  • Thanks Everyone for your insights!

I will let you knwo what I end up doing.
  • fsmith
    fsmith Posts: 43
    Adjustable rig.

I also bought the 16.5 inch stainless grids (3) to go with it. Now everything is stainless. It's a lot to drop all at once but it's the best investment I made after the egg itself.

fred
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Kansasegger I equipped my Large almost entirely from CGS. From bottom to top I have the Spider with the BGE 13" cast iron grid on top; the Woo2 with the BGE 14" pizza stone on the crossbars and the 14" CGS drip pan on top of the stone; on top of the Woo2, at felt level, I have the 18.25" Stainless steel grid from CGS; on top of that I put the Woo2 grid extender from CGS with either the BGE porcelain 15" or 13" grid. Gives you plenty of room. Tom's stuff is great.
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    I also got in touch w/ Tom and opted for the AR rather than the Woo. I have an older LBGE and could use the original design Spider. This can accomodate the Medium BGE cast iron grid. The new model can fit only a small. Anyway, my set up for steaks now is Spider (legs up), CIG, Adjustable Rig, grid on the mid or highest setting. I do the steaks at 350° on the higher level til they are about 100-110°, then pull them to a plate and rest them while kicking the egg up to 650-750° (however hot it will get). I take the regular grid off when pulling the steaks and when the sear temp is reached, drop the steaks on the CIG. Rotate 45° after about 45 sec (if you are a stickler for cool looking grid marks) then flip and repeat on the other side. This reverse sear technique, or X-ert, has worked well for me.
  • I ended up getting teh woo3 with extender and oval for extender.

Seemed to do as much as adjustable rig with spider and was cheaper.

Now I need cast iron griddle and grate to finish the accessory needs.

my only concern is for long cooks to reload lump, but I can take out the woo and load the egg if need be.

Thanks to all for your help.

I agree the adjustable rig is probably more versatile.