Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which Egg to get?? I need your advice

Options
Gibby
Gibby Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need your advice- Which BGE go I get? We are a family of 6. I do the majority of the cooking, and will absolutely use this often. Will the Large be enough? Or do we go XL. Also, is it realistic to cook several items on the weekend, to last through the week? Once I decide which size, we can all figure out table or nest.

I have never owned an Egg or a smoker, have a nice JennAir gas grill. Should I keep it, or sell it. I am moving, so if I am selling, now would be the time.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Comments

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    2 L's if you can.......if not get the XL!!! Good Luck
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I beleive two large would be better then one XL; I believe they would give you more versatility.

I have a large and a small, however most ofthe time it is only my wife and myself but when cooking for a larger crowd I would have liked a second large.

I would also keep the jenn air as it is a great grill and would make a great back-up.

John
  • maXim
    maXim Posts: 468
    Options
    Thats a hard question to answer.
    I've read often here that the large is the most popular in size due to all the accessories available for it. I've also read that you should get the largest one you can afford! Here's my 2 cents. I have a family of 4 (mind you 2 girls 5 and 8 - not the biggest eaters in the world. :blink: ) I personally have a large and to be honest I would not change it for any other size. Here's a picture of one of my first cooks:
    CIMG0782.jpg

As you can see I have 2 chicks on there and could easily fit 2 more. Is that enough food for your family? Only you can answer that.

I also agree with what Beli says, get 2 large. Not for lack of space but more for the added flexibility in your cooks (different temps, direct & indirect). Also you only need 1 set of eggsessories that you can share between both (pizza stone, plate setter...)
    Hope this helps!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    keep the jenn-air as a life line for now. you'll feel better having it to fall back on, but you'll never use it again, and can then ultimately sell it.

i suggest that you get the large... most versatile.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Or use it for Egg accessory storage...
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    I've got a family of 6 and we frequently entertain.

I have a large and it's fine - lot's of accessories, etc.

I recently bought a small for cooks for the wife and I.

If/when I buy another, I think it will be another large.

shh...don't tell my wife.

Is it realistic to cook several times in a weekend - as soon as you do a low and slow, you'll be cooking all weekend already! Ha! Ha! It's not a problem doing multiple cooks.

Michael
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Most of the the time there is just the two of us. Once a month we cook for 24, half adults and half under 13 years old.

One large did fine but it was more fun when I got additional eggs.

If I were doing it all over again I would get a large, then mini and another large.

The advantage of multiple eggs over one egg is that you can cook at different temperatures and you can only fire up one egg should you need the extra capacity.

With your size family you need to hear from some XL owners.

There are some great accessories developed and being developed for the XL.

GG
  • Fire Walker
    Fire Walker Posts: 241
    Options
    As one our estemed Egologist once said "buy the bigest egg you can afford" you can't go wrong.
    DSCN1085.jpg
    Here is my XL ready to do 40lbs. of ribs.
    FireWalker
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    Go big or go home!

MOS
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Ha! I love that handle on your XL!
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Hey Gibby,

I started out with an LBGE, then added an SBGE. Just recently, I've added an XL. Probably the best thing you can do would be to go with an L/S combo instead of getting just an XL. That way you can cook different things at different temps for different times. Plus, that would run you about the same cost as the XL by itself.

Meet the family:
    IMG_0470.jpg

Any way you go, you won't be sorry--the BGE is a great cooker, regardless of the size.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    +1 :P
    canuckland
  • Gibby
    Options
    Wow, never considered getting 2! I might have a hard time getting by w that one. Would have no problem getting by w an XL. I know, makes no sense, but......you know, with the treadmill not being used at all, the bowflex unused, the racing bike never used...you get the picture.

I appreciate the great advice from everyone! Leaning towards a Large and a small. Wish me luck.

thanks again, will post pics of first cook soon!
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Get both. Trust me! I am a bubba.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Gibby
    Options
    Wow, that looks awesome, I can't wait!

thanks for the pic and advice
  • Gibby
    Options
    Wow, those chickens are gorgeous! Yummy

I can't wait

thanks for the pic, and advice
  • porterhouse64
    Options
    I have the XL.

I live alone.

I followed the advice of "get the biggest you can afford."

I don't regret it. I have plenty of dinner guests volunteering to help me each whatever I cook.

I will cook 3 slabs of baby back ribs flat or 2 Boston butts at one time.

I was used to the cooking surface of a 22" Weber kettle.

The large egg surface seemed too small for me.

I plan on getting a mini and perhaps a small down the road.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey Porterhouse :huh:,you can cook two Boston butts on a medium(easily),you can do much more on an XL :P Here's six on the XL,not even tightly packed ;) :P I could have easily crammed 1 or 2 more in there :whistle: :ohmy:

40lbs004.jpg
  • maXim
    maXim Posts: 468
    Options
    Thanks,
    and they were :woohoo: :woohoo:
    It was by far the best chicken we had!!!
    I love my egg :blush:
  • Cajun Griller
    Options
    Hi Gibby,

I say go with the Large and add a small latter. That is the set up I have and I couldnt be happier. We are a family of 4 and usually use the small. The large can easily have 6 or more people. Good luck and welcome to the club!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    My family is 4 but I entertain a lot and like leftovers. I have a Large and a Medium and love it. I agree having two will give you more versatility. I don't think the Large and Med is much more $$$ than an XL.

In addition to versatility, you can save on lump by using the smallest one necessary. There is a BIG difference in lump consumption between my Large and Med. I have heard the XL burns it really fast.

Whatever you do, you won't go wrong. BGE is the best and whatever you buy you will love it and tell the next people that is what they should buy.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    My XL Burns lump at about the same rate maybe better than my large but it does take more lump to fill it up. I have a XL and a Large and love them both. I will probably get another Large by October. I will be putting twin larges in the outdoor kitchen sometime in the not too distant future. I like the Idea of twin larges because I wont have to get double accessories for two different size Eggs. I may end up doing that anyway but I wouldn't have to. Two larges would cost a little more than the XL but the versatility would be a good trade off. Just another opinion to consider.
  • ILL--EGGER
    ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
    Options
    Large. The original and still the best.
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    Get a large to begin with and definitely keep the JennAir. You'll find that for quick cooks (hot dogs, hamburgers, some shrimp dishes, etc) it is easier to throw on the gasser for a few minutes rather than fire up the Egg.