Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Weed Eater

Options
tach18k
tach18k Posts: 1,607
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My long over due replacement for a weed eater. Ok now
I'm looking for a dependable, straight shaft, gas model. I have seen Kawasaki, Troy Built, Husqvarna. Heavy brush/ weeds, no blade system only string. Used for weed abatement in SoCal forest. I have had 3 Ryobi's all did not fair too well.

What do you have and would buy again. Were looking around $200 give or take a few $$

Terry

Comments

• Fire Walker
    Fire Walker Posts: 241
    Options
    I have and would buy again A Stihl their strong well designed and start every time and the new ones have a cool line winding head that make reloading a snap.
    FireWalker
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    I'll second that.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    A lot of this will be personal perception. I too have had a lot of different models.

My son got a Stihl and it is really nice.

GG
  • trublond
    trublond Posts: 1
    Options
    Last year I bought a 4-stroke cub cadet and am very happy with it so far. It is a little heavier then a 2-stroke but I don't have to mix oil and gas.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Didn't see these posts but it looks like I third'ed it.

GG
  • popagar0
    popagar0 Posts: 136
    Options
    i have a 4- stroke cub. it gets used hard. no mixing oil&gas.
  • luis70458
    luis70458 Posts: 48
    Options
  • rooster
    rooster Posts: 252
    Options
    nothing better than a stihl.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I have the Husqvarna 125L (straight shaft)
    I think it was $199 at the time (Lowe's)
    Starts easily every time and is a workhorse.

I was using it today and took a blanket to cover the egg on the patio to prevent chipping. I was crackin' up that the egg was covered, but the 3 window unit behind it wasn't :huh:
    Priorities ya know ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• EGGTASTIC
    EGGTASTIC Posts: 32
    Options
    I have a Husqvarna 235R. I've owned it for at least 10 years. I have 2 ditches that run around my yard that I cut every other week. Between that and around other objects I use it for 2 to 3 hours at a clip. It has never failed me. I don't know how mush you are going to use it but here is why I like it. First, it has an AWESOME HARNESS! I clip on the harness and all the weight is just hanging there! I can cut for hours with out a problem. I would never buy one without this. Second, the string advance works flawless. 1 tap and out it comes! I replaced the string head once and I found it at Lowe's. Third the head is REAL easy to reload! 2 latches, the spool comes out, wrap the string, snap it back together. Super simple! Fourth it came with a brush blade and a heavier blade. I used the brush blade a few times to remove some berry bushes and it worked like a champ! Stihl is good stuff too. My father-in-law has a bent shaft one. I am sure it does not live up to their straight shaft models but my Husqvarna beats the snot out of it.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I didn't know there was another brand other than a Stihl Pro model. :ermm: :laugh:
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I've got a Toro that I've been very happy with for going on 8-9 years...maybe more.

A couple decades ago I used to do the weed eater thing for 6-7 hours a day at a summer job.

I used some string that was probably 4-5x the diameter of regular string. Used to cut the shore and woodline at a cemetery as well as a couple steep sided ditches. It also did better/lasted longer edging the curbing.
  • Hamilton
    Hamilton Posts: 115
    Options
    I've had Echo and Kawasaki, but now have a Stihl - I like it best.