Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rainbow Trout...

JD McGee
JD McGee Posts: 250
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi folks...they say a picture is worth a thousand words...here are a few thousand from last nights dinner... :)

IMG_7195.jpg

IMG_7197.jpg

IMG_7201.jpg

IMG_7204.jpg

IMG_7205.jpg
Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Great, mouth watering cook.

GG
  • Seattle Todd
    Seattle Todd Posts: 227
    Looks awesome! Are those store-bought or caught?

Very good memories from when I was little and my grandparents were alive of rainbows cooked simply in cast iron with butter.

Gotta try them on the BGE sometime.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    What a delicacy........fresh trucha arcoiris...mmmmmmmmmm
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    I did trout last Friday, was eggscellent. Yours look better, because I have a feeling that you caught them yourself. I got mine from the fishmonger a few blocks from my house.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    JD, Those are gorgious! I have yet to learn to like to eat any of the salmonids and your photos make me regret it.

Gator
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    One of the prettiest pics here! it does not get much better :) unless it is in a cast iron pan with some cornmeal, flour and a little butter
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Great looking meal. Could you give more details on how you cooked it? It looks like you have the fish down pretty close the fire.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    When you cook them like that, does the skin just peel off?

Mike
  • JD McGee
    Rollocks wrote:
    I did trout last Friday, was eggscellent. Yours look better, because I have a feeling that you caught them yourself. I got mine from the fishmonger a few blocks from my house.

I wish I had caught them...a friend of mine brought them over on Sunday...I cooked 4 on Monday and froze the rest. I plan on smoking the two larger ones this weekend. :)
    Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com
  • JD McGee
    reelgem wrote:
    Great looking meal. Could you give more details on how you cooked it? It looks like you have the fish down pretty close the fire.

I rubbed these up with evoo on the outside then salted and peppered the cavities. I cooked them direct @ 400 ish for about 4-5 minutes per side turning and basting with melted butter every 2-3 minutes.
  • JD McGee
    carwash mike wrote:
    When you cook them like that, does the skin just peel off?

Mike

They're a bit tricky...I oil the grates really well and use a wide spatula when I flip...but yes...the skin does just peel off. That's not a bad thing when you're ready to eat them though... :laugh:
  • Ya'll are missin out if you don't eat the skin.. lots of good flavor there...