Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small vs. Medium: What would you choose?

Options
ColoradoCook
ColoradoCook Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large and I'm thinking of getting another Egg. I'll use it primarily for sides and such and the occasional meal for one when the family is not around. What is your experience with the small and medium and what do you prefer?[p]If I remember correctly the majority of the large's accessories work in the medium, am I right? This could influence my decision. [p]Thanks for your help.[p]CC

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    ColoradoCook,[p]I have a medium and many (not all) of the accessories fit. If its is to accompany your large ... that's a hard choice. I can tell you the medium is a great egg, from low-n-nslow to high temp searing![p]Good luck![p]Smokey
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    ColoradoCook,
    Depending on what you want to do, many egger's have said that the large and small are a great combination. Now I have a large,medium and mini egg plus a #1 "k" (gift) so buy the next size that has the grill space you need. The small you could take camping or whatever with a little effort. [p]Now, why does your name show up????? LOL[p]Good Luck,
    New Bob

• The Other Dave
    Options
    Smokey, I have a large and a small. In retrospect I think I would have opted for a mini. The "small" is surprisingly "large" (and heavy.)

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    The Other Dave,
    I'm with you. I just went throught the debate of choosing a small or mini to match my med. and I finally went with a mini. Have never looked back. Comfortably holds five burgers,ooks like a champ and easy to carry wherever I want to take it. A lot cheaper too at $129.00 retail. Mac

• sam
    sam Posts: 21
    Options
    Mac in NC , tell us, honestly, how much food you can fit on the mini? Two-three burgers? Two steaks? What kinds of temps can you reach? I love to char my steaks, but I'm concerned that the little pot won't generate nuclear temperatures. Please advise.

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    Sam,
    Some of the best steaks I have cooked on an Egg have been on my mini. It is certainly capable of getting turbo temps of 750°-800°. You just have to be sure to add plenty of charcaol when after those high temps. The only draw back to a mini is it's limited capacity, but it is certainly a capable and fun little cooker.

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    ColoradoCook,
    I have a large, a small and a mini. I use them all, but I use the small most of all. We went on a two week camping trip earlier this summer and I took both the small and mini. I used both of them for every evening meal and both worked out great for camping, but If I could only keep one of the two smaller ones, it would definitely be the small. It is far more versatile than the mini.