Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mold in Egg and Tought Pork Chops

Cajun Griller
Cajun Griller Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good evening everyone,

I have been "checking in" every night for the past two months, when I first bought my Large and Small BGE's. Now I am finally signed up and posting. All of your commnents have proven to be very helpfull in my decision to purchase the two above referenced eggs and how to best use them.

Tonight, when I opened the lid on by Large I found green, fuzzy mold growing in it. My freind in Mobile has had a similar problem before. Has anyone else dealt with this? How?

Also, I have really enjoyied cooking some thick pork chops on the eggs, but wish they were more tender. I used direct heat, 350F, with olive oil and dry rub. I am wondering about brining them first or going to indirect. any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    TO get rid of mold.. Cook more often.. Not a joke.

Pull the chops at 140 (138 if your LC) and let them rest.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Use your eggs more and they don't mold. :) Probably the humidity? I always go indirect on my thick chops. Pull around 145.
    plchops2.jpg

Mike
  • Grillmama
    Grillmama Posts: 194
    My friend and I both bought our Eggs in Mobile and live in Mobile. We have never had a mold problem. :ermm: Even if our eggs have sat unused for a period of time.

I don't know what we do different than what your friend does.

I am sure some of the more experienced eggers will jump in and tell you how to handle your problem. :)
  • Burn the mold out...500-600 should more than take care of it..Must be very damp where you are or egg isnt covered or draft door open etc..

Wont hurt anything just burn it out maybe more your egg if its near moisture.

Try a few diff things with the chops,

Lessen your cook time and or temp a bit, I do 300ish..Put on the side of the grate if you dont have an indirect set up.

Indirect is what I would do...

Foil them at a point during cooking is another option

To change it up a bit flavor wise try orange slices on top. I like the orange slices, simple easy always seem to have one in the fridge.

Matt
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    The suggestions above on temp for your chops are good ones. You could do indirect but I think 350 direct is fine if you don't overcook.

Yeah, you don't get mold if you cook more...but you've already got it. The answer: burn it. You can sanitize the egg by a good high temp cleaning. Ha Ha mold! You don't look so tough at 750 degrees!
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    I did discover mold on my workout machine!! Well you get the idea, use it or lose it.As for the pork chops ,indirect-350 pull at 138 and they will finish. Good luck and keep cooking.

GOOD FRIENDS AND GOOD EATS

DALE
    Socal
  • what are some good places to eat in mobile...specifically in the airport blvd area. I know about Ed's, Wintzell's and such. Any good local spot I don't know about? I'm here now and am usually in town every 5-6 weeks. Thanks.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    The best thing you can do is get yourself a Thermapen, it will allow you to check the internal temp on things like chops in seconds. Not cheap, around $80 but in my opinion the single most useful aftermarket item you can get. Ping Mollyshark. -RP
  • AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    You must be ON the coast. I am 70 miles North of the Gulf Coast and have not had a problem with mold, as of yet, anyway... :)
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Are you removing the daisy wheel and replacing with the cap after you use the Egg or just shutting the vents? The ceramic cap keeps out moisture better. I've had mold when the humidity was high and I just shut the wheel but it seemed to clear up when I used the cap.
  • Thanks for the help. I did a hot burn and cleaned out the egg. I have a platesetter and will use it for an indirect cook next time i do some chops.
  • I have seen several posts about the Thermapen. Sounds like a need to add one to my father's day wish list. I have already asked for a pizza stone, adjustable rig and spider for my large.
  • I'm in Baton Rouge and try to keep both eggs pretty busy, but just returned from a beach vacation and found the mold. I built a table to hold both eggs, but really need to have a cover made for them. The table weighs a ton with two eggs and is not very portable. I did not want to put it under the patio area due to the smoke, but may have to reconsider. I am also thinking about building two individual tables that would be more mobil.
  • I am using the ceramic "rain cap", but had left a small opening in the lower draft door just to allow a little air flow. I will try using the eggs more and keeping that door closed for a while.
  • AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    I am not sure about this, but you might want to make sure that a cover doesn't enhance the environment for mold... Just something to think about... :)

I don't have a cover and have not had any problems yet... Yes, it is under a covered porch, but the humidity is still there...
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Grillmama
    Grillmama Posts: 194
    Dreamland BBQ up off the I65 and I think it is Old Shell Road. They sit off Old Shell and the I65. Call for exact directions or Google it. Good BBQ.

A local bar would be Bojangles on the corner of Airport and Azaela. Behind Newts. Newts (If I am spelling that has good food) don't know how late they are open.

There is a San Miguels and a Chilies up on Schillinger Rd off Airport.

Hooters E on Airport past Azaela Rd.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Congratulations on the new additions, and welcome to the EggNation!

I'd recommend shutting down the cookers after everything is all done--ceramic rain cap and the lower vent. You should be able to burn that mold off that's building up in there.

For the chops, you may want to try indirect, but make sure you've got a good instant-read thermometer to read the chop temps. I'm using the MTC from Thermoworks. Bought all kinds of other brands, but this is what I should have bought in the first place--it's worth the money!

Sent one of my LBGEs to a new home to a good buddy in Broussard recently, and will be visiting my sister and her family in Carencro very soon. What part of La are you from?
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    I brine my pork in WalMart 100% apple juice for about 1 hour per pound. Must be them Chinese apples that gives juicy flavor. Also I cook pork chops to 145 and let rest for 15 minutes. This allows the juices to redistribute and 145 may look a little pink but YOU WIN"T DIE.
    Emil
  • Thanks Mike. I'm in Baton Rouge. It sounds like I have been over cooking my pork chops. Next time will add the platesetter for indirect setup and watch meat temp closer.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Having owned all of them the Thermapen is the most valuable. -RP