Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is for Dinner?

RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight’s menu:
Monster Pork Chops slathered with Mustard and JJ’s Rub
Sweet Corn from a small roadside stand in Eastern NC.[p]I will sear the chops at 600 and then drop the temp to 325 to get the internal temp to 155
The sweet corn will probably be boiled.[p]Just wanted to share,
RhumAndJerk

Comments

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    RhumAndJerk,
    Have you had good success with thick pork chops in the past?[p]I always feel that the 3/4" bone in chops are more tender and juicier.[p]Of course I am assuming that your's are thick.[p]Just curious.[p]Mick

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    RhumAndJerk, Pork tenderloin on cedar plank, My first try at this. Corn on the BGE and sprinkled with Raging River.
    How about his weekend? I might have the weekend off and really wanting to light it up.[p]CWM

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    RhumAndJerk,
    "Candy Pork" for the kids (and us)....which is thin sliced boston butt marinated in a sweet char-siu marinade with red food coloring. Cook on skewers 250 direct for a couple hours. In fact, it is time to put them on![p]Brews to ya Mike. The chops sound righteously killer.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    MickeyT,
    These are 1.5 to 2 inches thick. The family and I will probably split one and save the other for tomorrow. Normally, I would simply use an eight minute dwell after the sear for pork chops. In this case, I will use a polder to get the temp right since the chops are that big.[p]I just remembered, I will probably have some Dixie Datl Datleberry Jam on the side.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Please let us know how the pork tenderloin on cedar plank turns out - I'm thinking about buying one of these planks in the near future.[p]Thanks![p]TRex
  • TRex
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Well, believe it or not, I haven't done steaks in over a month. I think tonight's the night.[p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    RhumAndJerk,
    I have been pulling my thick chops at i45° and when they rest they go up to 150°...just right....Salmon here tonight.
    Larry

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Bison burgers here. Ground Bison with some Q-Sauce, onion, green peppers, garlic, salt and pepper added to the meat. Cooked direct 350 or so till they are done, top with some black wrap cheddar cheese, sprinlked with some blue cheese, and its a little slice of heaven on earth.[p]Troy
  • RhumAndJerk,[p]Grill that corn! (run the corn with husk under water to soak husk, wrap in foil, and grill!)
  • bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    RhumAndJerk,
    Pickapeppa shrimp for an app. Shrimp Provencale over linguine for the main course. (If you can't tell, I picked up a few pounds of fresh shrimp on my way back from FL yesterday!)

• PharmDawg
    PharmDawg Posts: 12
    RhumAndJerk,
    Had ribs tonight Cooked @250 for 4 hr and 45 min and they were awesome. Have not tried the 3,1,1 method and probably won't because I don't think I could stand it if they were any better.
    John

• mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    rhum and jerk,[p]a new york strip - grilled medium rare - [p]a few baked fingerlings[p]broccoli [p]nothing for dessert - after toadfest - the little lady will not let me near the desserts

See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    RhumAndJerk:[p]I just poked my head in the kitchen and it looks like fried shrimp . . . That is OK, raining and rather messy outside this evening.
    [/b]
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    What kind of mustard, RhumAndJerk? JCA

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    RhumAndJerk,
    Tonight it's smoked trout on the large and a pan of corn bread on the small.

• Car Wash Mike
    TRex, This was the absolute best tenderloin I've ever cooked. I soaked the plank in water for 1-1 1/2 hours then rolled the tenderloin in DP rub and sprayed with extra virgin olive oil. Cooked direct on the plank at 300 until done. Moist and so tender.
    I also, tried Mahi Mahi Tuesday on a plank and it was great also.
    I have a site that I'm checking into that you can reuse the planks very often instead of a couple.
    IMHO a must try. The planks I bought were 3 for $15. You can get at least 2 if not 3 cooks out of each one.[p]CWM

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    J Appledog,[p]why Mrs. Dog's disappearing mustard, of course....[p]CB
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    change of plans - neighbor brought over just picked corn - very nice with the meal [p]maybe potatos next time

See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    P2170031.JPG
    <p />RhumAndJerk,[p]Worked late and ready for a couple of top rounds. Heating the green guy up as I type.
    Got one, mine, with cow-lick, the other with sazaon, salt, and adobo for the better half.
    Will do these at 550 for 5 minutes a side.[p]ST
    [/b]
  • RhumAndJerk,
    Hot wings and cold brew, side order of Alien on SciFi channel.
    Coat in Spin, cook at 275 for an hour, flip every thirty minutes.
    Wing sauce is one part butter, one part Tabasco, put tem wings wings in a container big enough to hold them all, slop the sauce to em , cover well and put em back on the grill to dwell until the redheaded girlfriend gets home.

• Mr. Toad, We live toooooo close. Strange but my NY strips are gooooo goooooood with potato, and like my friend, ever since Mr Toads League of Egstraordinary Cooks, Dee won't even let me say cheesecake.
    yours in the egg--The Colonel

• TRex
    Car Wash Mike ,[p]Did you sear the outside of the tenderloin over open flame before putting on the plank?[p]Sounds like I've got to try this deal.[p]TRex

• Car Wash Mike
    TRex, No sear.
    Give it a shot on chicken and fish.[p]CWM