Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

egg size for the single guy?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I live alone and like to cook out, but usually keep it simple: burgers, steaks, etc. The large seems like overkill for this. Do you think it would be more realistic to start with a mini or small to go with my gasser? I would like to wade into this ceramic thing rather than dive into the deep end.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    andy,
    I think that if you were considering a smaller Egg now and possibly a larger egg later, I'd get the small. You can do a lot of things on the small, it's almost portable and a lot of folks think the small is a the perfect companion to the large. I have a small and a large and I like the pair. But once you have the small, you're gonna want the large the first time that your buddies come over and want you to cook ribs for them and pulled pork and brisket. But large or small, you will be very happy with the results.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    andy,[p]I made the mistake of getting a small at first and upgraded to a medium within two weeks. If it is your mail egg, I think the small is too small. I recently got married and am consigering upgrading in to a large. If you're in Atlanta, drop me an e-mail ... I'll make you a deal on the medium (with loads of accesories)[p]Smokey
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    I have a large and I'm happy with it. I usually cook for myself, so a medium would probably have been enough for me. But I often cook for parties, and need the large for that. [p]The large is definitely worth the extra $$$ you pay for it.
  • Smokey Bob
    Smokey Bob Posts: 74
    andy, I to am single and love to cook. As you can see from the picture I posted a while ago, I went with both and have never regretted it. Small for chicken at lunch, a few ABT's, or a whole chicken spatchcoked...the large for pizza, ribs, etc. and cooking for a bunch of people. I recently had friends over. Did chickens on the small and a mess of ribs on the large. You can start with a small, but I bet you upgrade to a large in short order.[p]Good Cookin'[p]SB

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    andy,
    You will probably want to get a large BGE. Once your friends figure out how well you cook, they will be over more often. I have had people bring over a couple of racks of ribs and a case of beer on a Saturday afternoon telling me that they brought dinner. Besides, once the ladies figure out that you can feed yourself very well; you may acquire a family as part of purchasing a BGE.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    andy,[p]I was a single guy when I bought my first egg....a large. I was always the kind to jump the deep end first. Anyway, I picked the large because I could cook enough for the week at one time, and also if I had company over for dinner it was the right size. I don't think any choice here is wrong, but if I had to do it over it would be a .....large.

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    andy,
    I got the large and a year later added a small. I find that many times I have both going...one for the entree, the other for grilled veggies or baked beans. I haven't regretted having both. You'll find that once you get the hang of cooking on the Egg, you'll want the larger capacity for a turkey, pizza, or racks of ribs. You'll end up delighting your friends.
    Whatever you end up with, you'll love it.
    G.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    20racks.jpg
    <p />andy,
    Here is a picture of what you can do on a large, courtesy of Chef Will. Imagine a big party with all your friends. Open the lid and show them this![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    andy,
    I have a large and a mini. If all you're ever going to do is grill burgers and steaks, and only for yourself and no one else - EVER - then a mini or small will probably do ya. But don't sell yourself short. I agree with most of the postings: if I could only have one it'd be the large or (splitting the blanket) a medium. The bigger Eggs are just flat more flexible. As for the gasser, after you get hooked on Egg food it will be relagated as an end table - grin![p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO
    (And for those of you following this thing, we got the ultrasound yesterday and we're having a boy!)

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    andy,[p]I'm going to go against the grain on this one and vote for the smaller sizes. I personally chose a mini and absolutely love it for the types of cooks you mentioned. It will easily hold five pork chops, burgers or chicken breasts (no room to spare though)loads of hot dogs and sears the h*ll out of steaks. It heats extremely fast and burns very little charcoal. At $129.00 retail from BGE direct, I think this would be an excellent way to "break in" to ceramic cooking. [p]I bought a medium for my wife and I a little over a year ago and recently added a mini to the collection. The medium is great for ribs, pulled pork and pizza but its so rare I have an opportunity to cook these items for large parties. (personally, I don't have that many close friends)
    If I had to start again, I think I would have gotten the mini to start. It's an absolute blast to cook on and its easy to carry wherever you wish to go. You can't do that with a large. As an added incentive for the single guy, girls think the mini is "SO CUTE YOU CAN JUST KISS IT!!!". (Actual quote from my wife's good looking co-worker) It definitely got my attention. [p]Good luck on your decision. No matter which cooker you choose, be sure to let us know when you make the plunge. You'll never look back... Mac

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Smokey,[p]I'm not in Atlanta, but might be interested in the medium. Does it have the spring hinge?[p]Tonia
    :~)

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    QBabe,[p]Yes, I think I have every accessory!
  • andy,
    Single here too. I've got a medium, but I think the best combination is a small and a large. You can start with either. I have a friend waiting to buy my medium (or a large if the price is right) and as soon as the piggy bank allows it, I'm upgrading to a large. Shortly after that, a small is sure to follow for times when dinner is just a couple of steaks or chops or a spatchcocked chicken.[p]Dave's Not Here

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Smokey,[p]Nest too? Email me...[p]Tonia
    :~)

• andy, once you have eaten food cooked on the "green machine" you will probably do what most of "us" have done-send the metal grill to the dump!! I would say, any size BGE is better than "any" of the metal alternatives. HTH

• Drivr
    Drivr Posts: 163
    Kelly Keefe,[p]Congrats, we just found out the wife is 7 weeks pregnant. This will be our third with an almost 10 year gap beteen this one and the next youngest.[p]Drivr.
  • Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 243
    andy,[p]I'd get the large. It's a little more money up front, but you'll be able to cook what you want. I have a large and am thinking about getting another large...[p]JMO,[p]Ryan
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    andy,[p]Make the investment. Get a Large. With the Large, there are no limitations on what you can cook. Remember, you can always reuse charcoal, so you wouldn't be wasting a bunch of charcoal if you just cooked say one steak on the Large for yourself (unlike on a metal grill).[p]Later, you'll get a Small as the perfect compliment. If you buy the Small first, you'll see all the pics of briskets, pizzas, several racks of ribs, etc., and before you know it you'll be buying a Large so that you can do big stuff like this too.[p]I've got the Medium, Mini, and Medium, purchased in that order. I STILL wish I had the Large (although I am blessed to have the three others, don't get me wrong).[p]Just my 7 cents.[p]TRex
  • I also have to vote for the smaller sizes. I have a large, small and mini. I use the small 85% of the time, with the remaining cooks split between the large and mini.[p]If I'm cooking for one it's on the mini. When cooking for my wife and me I almost always use the small. The only time the large gets used is for ribs, turkey, or for a lot of people. I have even cooked for five on the small.[p]I think the best combination is the small and large, but I do have a couple of friends who have a medium and feel it's the best of both worlds...[p]Larry