Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wings-need help!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i'm cooking chicken wings this weekend and wondering what the best kind of rub would be the best that anyone suggest and if i'm cooking say 20-30 wing what temp in the egg should be and how long should they cook. thanks for any help

Comments

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    the cook,
    There are many commercial rubs that making your own is a waste of time. Chose the one that suits your taste.[p]I smoke a 3 pound bag of "drummettes" each time I cook. I marinate them, in the bag they come in, overnight with a marinade of your choice. I smoke them at 225 for as long as it takes...usually 2 to 3 hours. Part of my family likes them burnt & the other half likes them cooked but no char.[p]Same with the "heat"...you can make them as mild or a degree of hot that suites your guests.[p]Good Luck[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Nessmuk,
    stick to basics, paprika, cayenne, salt, pepper, and a little sugar.

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Nessmuk,
    Try the recipe for Chef RDs wings. It's more labor-intensive, but very good. I do mine on a raised grid, about 275-300, about an hour with flips. I cut corners last night and did a batch of wings with just oil and spice rub, raised grid, finishing with hot sauce and butter, but unfortunately, the temp got away from me and I had some scorched. HOWEVER, my forgiving family snarfed them up at an alarming rate, leaving no leftovers for lunch today. Dang.
    Cheers,
    G.

• Unknown
    Options
    the cook, I love bad byrons butt rub on my wings. cook for approx 1 hr at around 275, then apply bbq sauce of your liking and carmelize for 15-20 mins. My wife likes them without crust, I like them partially charred, so I take some off sooner than others. um um good. bad byrons has just enuff bite to make your lips tingle.

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    slicktop,
    Never had Butt Rub on poultry, will definately have to give it a try. It is one of my favorites on eggs though![p]~nikki

• Unknown
    Options
    slicktop,
    thanks for your response, where can i get the recipe for bad byrons. thanks

• Unknown
    Options
    the cook,
    thanks for everyone's help

• Unknown
    Options
    Dude, you cook wings for 2-3 hours?? Those must be some crunchy lil' fellers at the end. You say some of the kin folks like 'em burnt up....I'm not sure wings would be recognizable after 3 hours. Please clarify how/why you cook 'em for 3 hours. Thanks.
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    the cook,
    I got mine at the same place I got my BGE. I have included the link to their website. It has a page (Retailer's) where you can check to see who carries it in your state. [p]~nikki

[ul][li]Butt Rub[/ul]