Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

May have answered my own question

dougemsmacks
dougemsmacks Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have asked about chicken many times and I have had mixed results in my cooks. Well I think I know at least one thing about good chicken and that is a lot of you do your chicken indirect, and I believe it is becuase the grease on a direct cook hits the fire and gives the chicken a taste that is like eating burnt food. Now if you only do one or two pieces it doesn't happen so much but put on a whole grill full and the smoke/flavor will come thru.

Am I on the right track?

Now I still would like crispy skin on the chicken and can not seem to get it, any ideas?

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    for legs and wings I go indirect but take the temp to 400 or 500 depending on my mood or how much beer is in the fridge ;) You can also do it with just a drip pan and not the platesetter or stone. That seems, at least to me, to crisp up better.
  • For crispy skin, leave the bird in your fridge uncovered for at least 24 hours, this will dry the skin out somewhat and make it tend to crisp better. Then lightly apply olive oil (spray pumps/misters are great for this) and apply whatever seasoning you like. Skip the olive oil for "extra crispy". Then cook indirect hot and fast, 400° or even 450° for 45mins - 1 hr, check for temp to see when done.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Nope. I always do mine on a raised direct grill. Comes out perfect every time.
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    When I spatchcock chicken I give it a dusting of corn starch. It comes out very crispy. Not too much or you get clots of the stuff. I put it on after the spices that I use. Maybe that's cheating but it works for me.
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    To get crisp skin I agree with the uncovered in the fridge trick, the skin will become more translucent as it dries out. As for temp I feel the something in the 400 deg. range gives good crisp skin.