Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brain Picking

Egmont Key
Egmont Key Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When investing in a BGE what are nesessities I need that are not in the box? What will I wish I had gotten so I didn't have to make another trip? It is about 5 :evil: miles to the local dealer and they are well stocked. Are there things that you bought that you never used?

Comments

• jonboy
    jonboy Posts: 163
    Will you have a table or nest and shelves?
    A table is nice to have and gives you a place to
    store you extra things.
    If you are wanting to sear at high temps the cast iron grate is really nice. Not necessary, but nice.
    If you are wanting to indirect cook as in smoke meats and baking breads, get a plate setter. Add a pizza stone for crispy pizzas and breads.
    I recommend getting a third hand grate lifter also. You will need to purchase that on line thru thirdeye. He sells a wiggle stick also that would be handy but i dont have that.
    A couple things that you probably have around the house already that are handy are a trivet, dutch oven, cooking glove, beer opener, long handle tongues.
    If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
    jon
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Two other things you might like to get. A weed burner, or invertable gas torch for quick lighting. A Thermapen.

I have a Berzomatic MAPP gas weed burner, and it makes lighting really quick, will even get the lump going in a light rain.

I have a Maverick remote dual probe thermometer, but have had less and less use for it. Also,I have gone thru several mechanical pocket quick read thermometers. The Thermapen is really good, because the dome is only open for a few seconds while the temperature is tested. It comes in great for all sorts of cooking, and I even used mine to test the soil temperature of some plant starts.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Plate setter, pizza stone and Thermapen. that would be my start list. then see what type of toys you need from there :)weed burner is a nice extra :) makes short work of lighting but I did the oil and paper towel for years and still do once in awhile.third hand it wondeful to. I left mine in FL and miss it now that we are home :( cast iron grate 50/50. don't have one and not sure I really need/want it. happy with the sears i get with the regular one.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    dr.dialtone,

After the events of last night I am curious as to your motives. I see that you are logged on as two different users?

You and Gator Egg have the same sig, joined at the same instant and forum activity is exactly the same.

Your profile doesn't lie:

Gator Egg
    Member Since 05/29/2009 10:18:53
    Last Online 06/01/2009 06:25:15
    Last Updated 06/01/2009 07:42:30

dr.dialtone
    Member Since 05/29/2009 10:18:53
    Last Online 06/01/2009 06:25:15
    Last Updated 06/01/2009 07:42:30

What gives? We are a friendly group here and welcome new members constantly but we sometimes invaded by those that do not share the spirit of the forum.

So I ask, why the double identity?

Gator
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    The InvestiGater!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    frikkin place is crawling with conspiracy theorists here, last couple days.

soon we'll be posting photos of hundred dollar bills folded to show the twin towers as proof that the government is behind everything
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Gator Bait
    Hey Adam

ROFLMAO, I just thought I'd ask. I was here for the first round last night, saw the spirit of the forum was well defended and called it a night. After seeing LC's post I thought this looked a bit strange. I'm not one to throw stones at innocent people so I thought I would just ask.

The Investi-Gator! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Egmont Key
    I don't care about last night! I wasn't here !! I cahnged my handle two times today. I hope that is not a crime!
    I ask a simple and legit question hoping to get some friendly help with a decision.
    Don't think now this is such a friendly place. What does it matter if I am a TROLL. Have I accused you of anything dastardly?
    I have been a Gator fan since the mid 1950's. Hope that is not a crime also.
    Thanks
    Ron

Mainegg wrote:
    Plate setter, pizza stone and Thermapen. that would be my start list. then see what type of toys you need from there :)weed burner is a nice extra :) makes short work of lighting but I did the oil and paper towel for years and still do once in awhile.third hand it wondeful to. I left mine in FL and miss it now that we are home :( cast iron grate 50/50. don't have one and not sure I really need/want it. happy with the sears i get with the regular one.
  • Gator Bait
    Hi Ron,

Nobody has accused you of anything, I asked a simple question. I asked it because I didn't want to jump to any conclusions. We are a very friendly group and welcome all new members. As you can see not all new members are here with the intent of sharing the spirit of this great forum. What ever user name you settle on, Welcome to the forum.

Gator
  • Egmont Key
    Gator Bait
    You sure done a lot of investagating to not accuse some someone. Are you a moderator? Or just self appointed?
    I think I will change my handle again.
  • Gator Bait
    Hi Ron,

Nope, no investigating involved at all. You posted twice this morning under names I did not recognize and both had identical sigs. I just happened to look at your profile for each name. I was not surprised when both users had joined at the same one hundredth of a second. So I asked a simple question in the least offensive way I could think of. There are a lot of darn nice people here that have worked long and hard to make and keep the spirit of this forum what it is today. Some may not share that spirit but choose to disrupt it.
    So, no, no investigating involved. Just being observant and asking a simple question.

Have a great day.

Gator
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Gotta watch your six. I was the 2nd reply to the dink last night. I wish I had seen or enjoyed the ending. :evil:
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    You're awfully defensive for someone who hasn't committed a crime. haha

Changing your forum handle is not criminal of course, but it's not unusual either, it's very unusual, not mentioning the fact that it will be near impossible to develop any kind of repore with the rest of the forum members if you're changing your handle more often than you change your undies. Mark
  • Egmont Key
    In the spirit of this forum I'm going to drop this before I get Kicked off for something I didn't do.
    Your questions were very offensive to me. I did not call anyone any names or say anything inflamatory.
  • This is the kind of thing I was referring to about my first experience...

Dr. Dailtone asks questions about eggsessories and he get's dumped on. Accussed of being a troll.

Paranoid ?

Maybe he used two different handles...so what? He'll find one he likes and hopefully will use it all the time and contribute to the forum in a positive manner.

He asked questions about publicly available information and he get's treated like it's some form of corporate espionage or a conspiracy. Lighten up!

It's hard enough to work up the courage to join in.

Dr. Dailtone, Gator Egg or if you change your handle again, welcome to the forum, there's lots of great info here and great people. Thanks for participating in a positve manner!

I apologize for the negative welcome. What I can tell you is that you've bought a great product and this forum will prove to be a great asset.

Michael
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    With all due respect, all he had to say was "No, I'm not a troll, I just haven't settled on my forum handle yet" and the discussion would have been over. Instead, he took offense and acted paranoid and hostile for just being asked if he was. I thought Gator Bait was as polite as he could be and if you weren't privy to last night's deleted threads, then you're missing the context and the reason that the question was asked in the first place. sheesh. Mark
  • Maybe the deleted threads provided more information?

Yes, he could have said "no I'm not a troll" but why ask the question in the first place?

All I see is a guy asking about eggsesories. What harm could there be in that? I didn't see him promoting other products, trying to convert people or trying to stir anything up.

Maybe I missed something!

Michael
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    The problem with deleted threads or even editable posts.. Some people see them some don't. Those that don't aren't quite clear why questions are asked.

Should the question have been asked.. Probably not, but it did have a basis for being asked.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Pete,

I didn't see the stuff last night but this wasn't the guys first post.
    He asked a valid question, though probably on the wrong forum, yesterday.
    Here is his reponse to a question of mine. Note that he talks abbout changing his handle. I am not active on any forums but this so I don't know what protocol is but I don't think the guy was hiding the fact he did login with different names.
    I just wonder if somebody should have looked at his previous posts before associating the guy with anything untoward.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=653977&catid=1

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Can you do that. I am lucky if I can fold the TP correctly.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Back to your question.

Some things that have been useful to me and I would again buy at the same time as getting my new egg for the first time.

I will assume you will get an ash tool and some type of grid lift with the egg.

1. Plate Setter or Adjustable Rig & Spider. The initial cost of the Plate Setter is less, however, for me the usefulness of the AR/Spider is greater. I seldom use the Plate Setter any more.

2. Thermapen (get the newer model). Best improvement of my cooking results when I began cooking to temperature and not time.

3. Maverick ET-73 Remote Thermometer.

4. Some heavy lether gloves.

5. If you get the Plate Setter rather than the AR/Spider you need to make or buy some type of grid extender. Not a have to item but you will want one at some point in time.

For me that's the basics.

Things I enjoy and glad I have.

. I do have a MAPP torch and a weed burner. I find just as quick lighting using a paper towel/oil method.

. I often use a DigiQII or my Stoker. A powered vent system is nice to have but not a must.

. I like using the dutch ovens

. cast iron skillet

. cast iron grid

I don't often use, my V Rack, BGE folding extended grid but I like them.

I never use my vertical chicken stands or vertical turkey stand.

Most of the time there is just my wife and I. I have a large, medium, small and mini.

Doing it all over again I would first get a large, then mini and then another large.

GG
  • tbonemac
    tbonemac Posts: 69
    Egmont,
    If you are still looking for anwsers, here is my 2 cents. I bought nothing that I don't use. Know what you want to cook and purchase those items with the BGE purchase. You can always go back and buy something in the future, and 5 miles is not that far. For me, I knew I wanted to cook indirect and wanted to cook ribs and pizza. So I got the plate setter and pizza stone and rib rack. I got the ventilated cover since mine was going to be outside and did not want the table getting the weather. I like sear marks on my steaks and went with the cast iron grate. The ash tool is a must. My regret, got the medium vs the large.

As far as the other, don't get offended. I am new to this group and it is a great site and great group of folks that have been very helpful. With everything that went on this weekend, the wording of your question was untimely. Everyone here like to think postiive "what they like", not what they don't like.
  • By missing some of the deleted threads, maybe I missed some background info.

It's my opinion that if someone bad mouths your product and you respond deffensively and are really vocal about it, they'll keep coming back to stir the pot because they know what buttons to push to get you ticked off in a public way. If you don't respond, they move on because they're bored.

When I read the brain picking post & the earlier
    "product comparison post" - I saw a guy asking for opinions - he didn't hide the fact that he changed his handle (although I have no idea why he had so many of them) and if you noticed on the product comparison post, the first few eggers responded by saying "we don't do product comparisions". (short and sweet) I didn't see him pushing for more info.

The reason I posted in his defence was that he asked a reasonable question and got jumped on. I think these kind of responses intimidate newbees - I know they intimidated me.

Michael
  • Egmont Key
    I thank you rgbhv.
    It is very intimadating. Don't remember ever being ask if I was a troll. Just a harding person trying to retire.

offline rgbhv wrote:
    By missing some of the deleted threads, maybe I missed some background info.

It's my opinion that if someone bad mouths your product and you respond deffensively and are really vocal about it, they'll keep coming back to stir the pot because they know what buttons to push to get you ticked off in a public way. If you don't respond, they move on because they're bored.

When I read the brain picking post & the earlier
    "product comparison post" - I saw a guy asking for opinions - he didn't hide the fact that he changed his handle (although I have no idea why he had so many of them) and if you noticed on the product comparison post, the first few eggers responded by saying "we don't do product comparisions". (short and sweet) I didn't see him pushing for more info.

The reason I posted in his defence was that he asked a reasonable question and got jumped on. I think these kind of responses intimidate newbees - I know they intimidated me.

Michael
  • Congratulations on your retirement - please enjoy it!

In my opinion, a BGE and access to this forum in your retirement will be a very positive eggsperience. Your cooking skills will be the talk of the community offering quality and variety to your familiy and guests.

There are many members that are very passionate about their eggs and this forum and when they suspect someone knocking their product, some can go into attack mode. This is unfortunate but I am sure it happens in other walks of life.

Something that I did when I started was check out the different pictures and recipes. I then did a lot of searching of older posts and found most of the info I was looking for. Once I felt more confident in my skills and had some eggsperience, I jumped right in and I have not looked back.

I hope you will purchase your egg and jump right in too!

Michael