Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Mothership Made a Mistake!

Options
bubba tim
bubba tim Posts: 3,216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here is the deal. I ordered two ventilated covers for the large and med Eggs that LC and I picked up at the Ocala fest and a new fire grate to replace "Ole Lady's" 13 year old ceramic fire grate. What came was a CI grid for a large. Here is my question. Is it worth keeping?
For those who own a CI grid, I have heard that they are a pain a$$ the keep from rusting. Living in Fl, rust is an issue. It does not look like it is seasoned, but that is not a deal breaker. Should it stay, or should it go?
SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Tim,

Keep it man! I don't do anything with mine and leave it in the egg most of the time. It's more sturdy and I do DO cooks on top of it. If rust is a big issue, spray it with Pam canola.
    Great sear marks and the extended grid works like a champ with it because of the stablity.
    I just picked one up for the medium and will get another for one of the other larges.
    Kinda like your favourite cast iron pan.
    Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    I'm in Northern Virginia, certainly humid in the summer. My CI stays on my Large all the time. I use it for everything. This will be only my second summer season with the CI, but I love it. Have had no rust problem at all. I suspect that putting it in a storage cabinet a good bit would change that in Fla. I'd say keep it and use it all the time.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Hey Tim,,just drop it off at my house and I'll make sure it gets back :whistle: I'm making one now for my small I think you will like it for steaks.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    If you have one of thirdeyes Thirdhand the CI grid is easy to handle even though there is a little weight involved.

It is more of a bother when adding smoking wood or if there is a need to get into the lower side of the egg.

I am in a much lower humidity area than you, but I do get a little rust here and there.

I sort of wish I would have go the medium CI grid rather than the large. I then could use the CI on the spider to sear. Put on the normal or raised grid to finish the steak.

My 2¢

Kent
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    I did my usual "rustproofing" of the CI grid in our Small before tonight's cook. I started by brushing the top surface of the grid in situ with a brass bristle grill cleaning brush. Then, I turned the grid over and used the same brush to "clean" the bottom. By brushing the top parallel to the individual bars and the bottom perpendicular to the bars some of the residual grease from the top is transferred to the bottom and the brush is cleaned a bit too. The grid has been outdoors in the Egg under coastal conditions for over a year and there isn't a speck of rust on it.
  • bubba tim
    Options
    Good point about getting a third finger from Wayne. So keep it or send it back?
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    You don't need the TF if it's a large CI grate. I'm in the same latitudes as Kent. For us rust is that stuff on old lettuce. :laugh:

From what I gather from some of the coastal folks I've visited with, giving it a good oiling while it's still hot will solve those concerns. I'm on it. Check your mail.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • bubba tim
    Options
    Oh hell ya, when we do that thing that we are doing, add that sucker.. :woohoo: :woohoo: Please!
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    No mistake. They did you a favor. My CI grates never com off my Large and Small. No rust problem.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    Tim I have CI and it's great to sear off the spider level, but the darn thing keeps rusting up on me and it's a pain. IMHO I wasted my money. :S
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Now that's puzzling...

Kent
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    I have a CI and it never rusts. As much as it used it always has a nice greasy coat. You can give it quick brush before you use it.
  • tbonemac
    tbonemac Posts: 69
    Options
    Tim,
    I got mine in March and it has been on the grill since then. It has rained a lot since then and been very humid and mine has no signs of rust, even though the DMFT is showing some signs of rust. I love the CI grid and it has not been a problem to keep clean, the grid cleaning tool works good and a good brushing is all ti needs. It was not hard to get seasoned. I cooked (2) chickens on it last night. Just sprayed with canola oil and the chickens did not even stick to it.
  • Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    Cook a pork butt on it every now and again, and oyu will never have a problem with rusting....