Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MAPP GAS starter

Raebo
Raebo Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone recommend a type/brand or link to where I can get one.
I would like to give it a try.
Is there a member who sells them who I can support?

Comments

• Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    I use a BernzOmatic TS 4000. they are about $40. at Lowes or the depot. Self igniting and long lasting.
    Torch.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    When you choose a model of the BernzOMatic make sure you get a "regulated" head. This head will allow propane tank to burn in a upside down mode.

"When a non regulated brass torch is tipped upside down, the liquid propane in the torch works its way through the torch and blows out the flame. We recommend a pressure regulated torch, such as the TS3000T."

There are other models that have a regulated head, the TS3000T is one of them.

You will probably get a MAPP kit but you may as well have the ability to use propane inverted.

Here is a link to the BernzOMatic FAQ Page

GG
  • Panhandle Smoker
    I never paid attention to the regulated head part, I just grabbed it out of the shop. :laugh: So far it seems to work fine upside down. If I were to get another one that is definitely something to consider. :ermm:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Eddie,

MAPP will work upside down, regulated head or not. The only time MAPP goes out is when the oxygen above the lump is used up or the tank is empty.

Propane will snuff out when inverted if the head is not regulated. My second head was regulated.

Kent
  • Same one I use. Bottles last an insanely long time.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Take a look at the "golf club" from BBQ Guru as an add-on to your torch. It is a handy tool that you can stick down into the lump to light it.

It ends up being hands off and it eliminates the sparks that are sometimes a safety problem, because it spreads out the fire a bit.

It doubles as a grate cleaner and lifter and a couple of other things I have forgotten.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    I have the BernzOmatic TS 8000 that is supposed to be about 30% hotter then the TS4000. It came from Lowe's for about $6 more then the TS4000 and lights lump in no time.

I think any MAPP torch will throw sparks, that is dependent on the brand of lump you use. I normally use Royal Oak and it can be like the 4th of July. I have played with a bag of South American lump that did not spark at all. Until you know how your brand of lump is going to respond to the MAPP torch be very careful of your eyes and clothing. If you live in a nudist community I would use something else. :pinch: :huh: :blink:
    Just a word of caution, not trying to scare you off.

Gator
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    It's the only way to fly...been using one exclusively since I got it back in 2007. Only used the square fire starter cubes less than a handful of times since then.

Be very careful with sparks and lump flying apart!
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    I use the TS 8and something...it has a hose attached to the tank. I think it is easier to maneuver in the egg.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Hmm...interesting. I think that I'll have to stop by Harbor Freight to day to have a look--HD and Lowes don't seem to carry the torch heads w/hoses.

Thanks!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    if you have a propane tank from a gas grill, a weedburner from harbor frieght can be had for about 20 dollars. lights faster and lasts longer for me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Have had the MAPP for several years and to reduce the sparks on my body parts I got a 5 inch lamp cover, metal and some washers and a 1/2 inch hose clamp and attached behind the nozzle on the tip.. Helps alot.

100_2162.jpg
  • Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Northern Tool has a dual head long wand gas torch that advertises 1,125,000 BTU's! for $39.95(!!) How fast would *that* rascal light a fire?

Bob V
    [url]
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_403738_403738[/url]
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Are you going to be using it for anything other than lighting your Egg? Such as soldering, brazing or light welding? Or do you just want to look cool standing over your firebox making that wicked cool "wooshy" noise as you light your lump?
    I've got a very nice little MAPP kit that I use to solder plumbing joints, and I've got a 200,000 btu propane weedburner that I use for burning weeds and lighting my burn barrel when it's full of green brush on a rainy day. Would never even consider using either one to light my Egg, it's a complete waste of time to stand there holding a flame to the lump when I can simply toss in a couple of starter cubes and walk away while I prep the rest of the meal, or feed the dog, or take a dump, whatever.
    Well, that is unless I've got an audience. I still use the starter cubes but I stand over the firebox and make a wicked cool "wooshy" noise in my new sneakers that make me run wicked fast.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    I think that the sparks are a trade off of other starting methods. It looks like Richard has the nudist colony model. :laugh:
  • Grandpas Grub
    :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ya got to love Richard.

Great idea. Get that thing on Pitchmen!!!

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    :woohoo: Flame thrower deluxe.

A weed burner will light the lump in my large and stable at 400° in less than a minute.

I can only imagine what dual burners would do if each head has the same BTU's as my Harbor Freight Flame Thrower has.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Starter cubes work fine and are a great way to light the egg.

What I don't like with cubes is the off smell and the length of time it takes to completely burn the cube out of the lump.

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of eggers ono the forum use MAPP to light their eggs and a significant number of eggers use or have a weed burner to light their eggs.

When it is below freezing and I am eggin I will resort to the weed burner for the exact reason you use the weed burner. Fast light.

I prefer oil/paper towel over cubes or even alcohol over cubes.

GG
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    This is what Bubba Tim and I use...the Golf Club...and we love it! You light the tip, which then goes into the coals. After a minute, it is lit! We light in 3 places, and good to go! (I feel MUCH more comfortable with it than holding the plain torch upside down!) Hope this helps!
    http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/BBQ_GURU_GOLF_CLUB_CHARCOAL_STARTING_SYSTEM_p/bbggolfclub.htm