Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Old School Flat Iron

Basscat
Basscat Posts: 803
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One of my favorite flavor memories from childhood is when Dad would soak a round steak in bottled Italian dressing and place it lovingly on the old Char Broil charcoal grill that he must have had around for 25 years.
Well, last day of school today (I'm a teacher, we are way more excited about it than the kids;), and when I stopped by the store, the "Manager's Special" was flat iron steaks for $3.99/lb. Got home looked in the fridge, and sure enough, had a bottle of Kraft Italian!
Sorry, no pics, I didn't think it was going to be anything special, but man, those flat irons off the Mini are AMAZING! I think that may be the tenderest piece of beef I've ever had. Maybe not up to dry aged Prime in flavor, but mighty fine stuff, give it a try!

Comments

• Flatirons are a great cut of meat and can be treated like any other cut on the egg. One of my favorite steaks. Plus they present well for a dinner party. Cook to medium rare and slice on a vertical bias at the table - superb!

Try DP Raising the Steaks or Cowboy Steak rub.
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    We (wife & self) indulge in F.I.'s about twice a month. And, yes, they are a wonderful cut of beef. (Don't get 'em for $3.99 though. More like $6.99).
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    They are good. But I have just about quit eating beef. :S I might cook some at Springfield again this year. Some guy thought it was brisket. :ohmy: Rare brisket, how tender. :silly:

Mike
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Congrats for another school year! Enjoy your time off to recharge your battery! My beloved taught high school English for 37 years and I know she deserved every summer for sake of sanity and to recharge. Funny you mentioned round steak - that was the ONLY piece of "steak" I ever knew growing up!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Basscat
    Thanks! I'm the computer guy at my school, so I do a lot of work over the summer, but it's easier without everyone there. But this year I've had a bit of a mid life crisis, and taken up SCUBA, and have a dive trip to Cozumel in my future, so I'm really looking forward to it! I think I will be more recharged than I have been in a long time.
  • Basscat
    Yes, there was a shot or 2 of Raising the Steaks in there too. I'm a DP addict.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Awesome price on the Flate Iron, it's one of our favorate cuts of Beef. The best price I was able to get at RD was 6.99 LB. Good Eats