Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL BGE back in business

GrillDaddy
GrillDaddy Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This past weekend I just finished putting on my Nomex gasket on Saturday. I precook at 250 to 300 for about one hour on Tuesday just to test gasket. Gasket still looks great. I will most likely do some ribs on Saturday. I think I am ready for my first cook on my XL BGE in a while. Should be sweet

Comments

• NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Good luck, I like my nomex gasket as my medium is an entirely different egg with it (knock on wood). Seems to be holding up well especially after burning up two of the std gaskets in just a couple of cooks each. I didn't preshrink mine but did allow for some overlap so the shrinkage gap isn't all that bad.
  • GrillDaddy
    NoVA Bill - about how many cooks and how many months have you had w/ Nomex Gasket on BGE, how many cooks of low & slow before going to high temps?
  • NoVA Bill
    I believe I installed the nomex in late march early april. Been thru numerous lo and slo, direct cooks for burgers, chops, loins, wings, sausages, spatchcock chickens, etc., several pizzas, french fries and drop biscuits. In other words, it has been used often but not over 550 degrees sustained so no T-Rex.
  • BananaChipz
    BananaChipz Posts: 207
    I've had the nomex on for a couple months. I've cooked at high temps and have no problems.

My only beef with the Nomex is it's white: Get's dirty quite easily... oh well..
  • NoVA Bill
    You're right it was almost pretty when new sort of like a white sidewall tire from the 1950's (oops dating myself :ohmy: ). But memories of my white gasket has long since faded to a dirty gray.
  • GrillDaddy
    good to know, thanks for share

How tight did you pull the gasket when installing it?
  • BananaChipz
    BananaChipz Posts: 207
    don't pull it tight at all.. in fact a tiny bit of bunching is ok as it'll shrink.

Check out the videos at Fredsmusicandbbq.com. He demonstrates putting a nomex gasket on.
  • GrillDaddy
    I saw that clip of Fred, I bunched a little on the inside part of the ring, I only have about 2 inches left once completed.