Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dealer Demo Cooks

Options
TXTriker
TXTriker Posts: 1,177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been asked to participate in my dealer demo cook. This will be a four hour cook with the eggs supplied. I have, for this year, decided what I'm cooking, but for next year, what would you cook? This will be food for the prosective customers and the customers of gas and charcoal grills. Demonstrating what the egg can do. Cooks will be at the dealers and space will be limited. I'm looking for suggestions for next year.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Ray,
    What is the date for this one?
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Options
    How many people did you feed during the 4 hours?
  • TXTriker
    Options
    One of those safe dates. June 13, but it is not Friday.
  • TXTriker
    Options
    No, this is upcoming. Customers who just happen to stop by in the four hours. There will be three eggheads cooking including one BGE Rep and some of those other so called cookers. I think a spice rep and one ice cream rep passing out ice cream.

This is not strictly a BGE event. My dealer will sell whatever the customer wants. He just asked some of his BGE customers if they would cook and I felt this was a way to repay my dealer for some of the deals s/he has given me. It makes a difference if some of the cooking is done by existing customers as opposed to just the dealer.

But for next year, I'm looking for ideas.
  • GulfCoastBBQ
    GulfCoastBBQ Posts: 145
    Options
    From a sales perspective I would recommend cooking something that prospective buyers probably intend to cook but put an exciting spin on it.

If it was me I would do skirt steak with a spicy mexican rub and a squeeze of lime. The thin skirt steak can go from raw to ready in minutes while the customers are watching and they will taste something that many have probably never had. I can picture the flames licking the meat and the odor wafting from the egg, guaranteed to be a huge hit.
    If you have the luxury of using two eggs I would do grill fried chicken thighs on the other. They get crispy and juicy, take about 30 minutes and hold very well while requiring very little attending and demonstrating the value of the platesetter.
    These two items would show the versatility of the egg (grill fried chicken) as well as its ability to vastly improve on an old standby (steak)

Good Luck, I wish I was doing it. Sounds like fun.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Ray,

I was at at one at a dealer recently. The cooking was done by BGE Canada. They used a lot of chicken and vegetables and the responses from the attendees was how much they could taste the charcoal flavour.(in a positive way)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TurtleCreek
    TurtleCreek Posts: 140
    Options
    I went to my first Eggfest and was amazed to see the versatility of the Egg. I looked at all those eggs, and saw very different types of food being prepared. That really sold me (well I am saving up a few bucks for a Lg right now). Back to my point. If you have 3 Eggs going maybe show folks some of that vesatility on one of them, cook a pizza on the Egg then something else. Maybe when next years event gets closer you could get with the other egg-cookers and see what they are planning to do. Like I said seeing everything from casseroles, pizzas, steak & cheeses, chix, steak, pulled pork, to brownies and cookies all from one cooker was very impressive to someone not exposed to the egg before. Good luck, all the cooks I saw seemed to be having a great time showing off the Egg and their skills.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    ??? :ermm: I was asking how many to feed to help with any ideas of what to cook.
  • maXim
    maXim Posts: 468
    Options
    May not be "practical" or easy, but why not pizza. For me it was a deciding factor in getting my egg. I was looking for a smoker true, but always wanted to have a wood burning oven for pizza. The BGE was the best of both worlds!!! :woohoo:

Max
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I assume this will be at Chim-Chimney's in League City.

Most Texas Eggheads don't realize that the first 'spark' of interest in a Texas Eggfest actually started at Chim-Chimney's back in 1993. They were having an Open House and a few of us in the Houston area decided to meet up there and enjoy the day among fellow Eggheads.

It wasn't long before "Texas Eggfest" was mentioned and a few days later I started trying to find as many Texas Eggheads as I could to see if they were interested.

Yes they were from all over the state. A few of us finally met up in Temple, Texas at a sanctioned BBQ Cookoff to break the Eggfest ice. Ed Krach, GrillMeister from Austin, actually got the first group together. We were such an unusual group that they put us behind the stage with our Eggs. All the other cookers had trailers and tents and campers and motor homes.

But as it turned out, we became the most popular group because we were handing out samples to the public. None of the other cookers did that.

It was a fun day, and the fun hasn't stopped since.

Have a great time with the demo.

Spring "Pioneer Eggfester" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    (sorry, didn't mean to thread-jack)
    Hey Steve, just to let you know the Grill Guys (BGE Canada) are doing another demo at Ontario Gas BBQ this Saturday (May 30). Not sure if I'll be there though.
    Gary
    canuckland
  • TXTriker
    Options
    Thanks Eddie. That is part of the problem. Of course, we won't have a time situation. This will be just a question, answer session for the prospective customers and a chance for the customers to see what we can do on the eggs. It will need to be quick and simple and fast since there will be only about a 4 hour cook time. It won't be an Egg Fest but just a chance for the customers to see real egg users. Finger food.
  • TXTriker
    Options
    Thanks Max. The store said they were going to do pizza this year. So, that is certainly a thought for next year. I guess I would need to be certain I wouldn't have a gasket problem wouldn't I?
  • TXTriker
    Options
    Gee whiz. I'm only 14 years behind the times. I had no idea my dealer was that important to anyone but me and their other customers. I've got a classmate who has been egging about that long too who bought from Chim-Chimney's Great folks.

Thanks for the history lesson, Leroy. That is fun.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Just to mention a few ideas which are popular finger foods around here and fast cooks would be wings, ABT's, stuffed shrooms, even cookies(big fav with the kids). Other ideas may be pork tender loin sliced thin, pulled pork sammies on rolls but not in 4 hours unless cooked prior. That sounds like a fun gig though.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Gary,

I am free on Saturday. Let me know if you can make it up there for an hour or so. Gotta talk to them about Tim's fest anyway.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TXTriker
    Options
    I personally have the wings and ABT's covered for this year along with the cornbread. I was told our rep also is doing wings. Mine will be the almost fried chicken. On my practice runs, these have been all day cooks. Also, in our favor, there will be no time limits except for the cutoff times so the eggs can cool and be put up.

One of my buddies is cooking a couple of pies a head of time and then some cookies at the store.

Again, not an Egg Fest, but a demo.

Thanks for the input Eddie.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Hodag Cookies.
    Recipe in cookbook here.
  • TXTriker
    Options
    Hodag Cookies! Now, those looked good. Thanks for the tip.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    If the reps are serving ice cream, offer some Bananas Foster to go with.
  • TXTriker
    Options
    Hehe. I think it is the ice cream man serving ice cream. Really, I don't know who he is. Fried Ice Cream?
    I guess that wouldn't work huh?
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Options
    I know when I do a demo for someone checking out the Egg, a steak with light smoke can seal a deal. I believe a steak really shows off the ability of the Egg to create incredibly moist meat with great flavor. The pork tenderloin is second in my opinion but pizza's also show off the versatility as well. If maintaining a high temp or charcoal usage is an issue just cook the pizza on the grate with the sauce and topping off until you flip the pizza. Once flipped you can put it cooked side up, put your toppings on, and put it back on to finish. I actually prefer my pizza's this way now and it really cuts down the lump usage.