Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ginger salmon on a bed of scallions

chuckls
chuckls Posts: 399
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
1dscn0042.jpg
<p />I decided to cook two fillets of salmon on a bed of scallions, as mentioned in one of the recipes. [p]I cleaned up my shallow v-rack, then sprayed with Pam. I laid down a bed of scallions, and on it I placed salmon fillets that had been marinaded in a olive oil/soy/ginger marinade.[p]
1ready.jpg
[p][p]Then I placed this setup on my large egg, on top of the grill extender over a drip pan:[p]
1onthegrill.jpg
[p][p]After 35 min at 350:
done.jpg
[p][p]
And finally off the grill. Very moist and juicy! A wonderful way to do salmon.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    chuckls,
    Yowza. That looks damn good. I bet the scallions added quite a bit of flavor (and what better a flavor to go with an Asian style marinade?)[p]What did you do with the scallions when they were done? They would probably be a great addition to a shrimp/veggie stirfry, or a pot of seafood soup![p]Great lookin meal!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • chuckls
    Nature Boy,[p]Well this time I didn't have my act together but next time I'll trim the char off the ends of the scallions and then slice them into a stir fry with japanese rice. [p]Also next time I'll leave the salmon on a little longer - I'm still getting used to cooking on the egg. Especially how moist the food stays even though the cook times are longer than I am accustomed to in my oven.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    chuckls, looks great! DO you have the recipe handy or at least an idea of the quantities you used?

• chuckls
    Wise One,[p]Ginger Salmon presented by chuckls:[p]I have developed this recipe over the years, it is a favorite of my daughter's. It is modified now somewhat for cooking on the egg. I am amazed at how moist and juicy this salmon turns out when cooked on the BGE.[p]I suggest preparing a side dish of japanese stir-fried rice to use the scallions after cooking the salmon. But that is a recipe for another time.[p]Salmon
    Salmon fillets, size to fit appetites (plan about 6 oz per serving)
    Scallions, 2 bunches
    Dried Basil
    Kosher salt[p]Marinade
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    2 tbsp sesame oil
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    1 tbsp Mirin (japanese cooking wine)
    1 tbsp fresh chopped ginger root
    2 tsp miso
    1 tsp fresh chopped garlic
    1/2 tsp sambal oreck (red pepper paste)
    hot chinese oil to taste[p]Combine all ingredients and whisk with wire whisk until well blended. Reserve 1/3 cup of marinade for basting, and marinade the salmon for 1 to 2 hours on the counter or in the fridge.[p]Prep:
    Clean your shallow v-rack and spray with Pam. Lay the scallions across the grid, alternating tops and bulbs. Place the marinaded salmon on the bed of scallions. Sprinkle with dried basil and a touch of kosher salt.[p]Cooking:
    I use a dome temp of about 375, with a grid extender and a drip pan to block the direct heat. You can use smoke if you wish but I think it overpowers the delicate asian flavors so I don't add any chunks. Place the prepared shallow v-rack on the grid extender, and cook for 30-45 minutes. During the last 10-15 minutes, brush with the reserved marinade. I don't use a temp probe because with fish it is easier to tell if it is done by how it flakes when tested with a fork.[p]After removing the salmon from the egg, serve immediately. If also serving stir fry, make sure to have everything ready then after removing the salmon, cut the char off the scallions, slice up the remainder and add to the stir fry. Toss a couple of times and serve with the salmon. Enjoy!

• Janet
    Janet Posts: 102
    chuckls,
    Oh wow! This sounds like a great recipe and a wonderful way to do salmon. Can't wait to try. [p]Also, I've been looking for a way to do flakier fish (like haddock) on the Egg. The scallion approach sounds promising. Thanks for the idea.[p]Janet[p]

• smokeypete
    smokeypete Posts: 63
    chuckls,thank you... i love grilled fish and this one sounds great!