Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dome temp

Options
rooster
rooster Posts: 252
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing two butts today,My first butt attempt. I am using maverick for first time also. My question is on the temp variation> It goes from high to low, Ill corect then from low to high,i adjust again. Is this normal or do i have issues with the fire trying to go out.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I see no one has tried to answer your question - it could be because we don't understand what you're asking. Could you try again?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • rooster
    Options
    My question was about tempature flucation. I cant find the sweet spot of 250 for pork butts. Am i over adjusting or should i have more patience? I hope this clarifies my first post thanks for the reply.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Where do you have the pit probe placed. Are you changing vent settings?

GG
  • RRP
    Options
    assuming you started your fire in the middle then the sweet spot will be there. I just clip my Maverick grate probe to the bottom of my dome thermometer and once I settle in 10° + or - I don't worry about minor temp fluctuations.
  • rooster
    Options
    The probe attaches to the grate,and yes I:m adjusting both. thanks for replying ,i was waiting for you
  • rooster
    Options
    how do you attach,My maverick has the clip that attaches to the grate. I dont know of a way to get it on the dome probe.
  • RRP
    Options
    my Maverick has an alligator clip in the end - guess yours is different.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Go to Walmart automotive dept.,Radio Shack or most any automotive store, electronics store and buy some alligator clips.

Don't crimp tight on the probe itself. Pre crimp and then slide on the probe beyond the tip (read sensor). Make sure it is a tight fit.

When you check and change your temp. don't do both vents at the same time. Bottom vent for course change and top vent for minor change.

GG
  • 2cats
    2cats Posts: 34
    Options
    The Maverick pit probe fits perfectly into the dome thermometer hole, as well.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    if you are holding 250 and then open the egg to put in your meat, you will see the temp drop.

it falls for two reasons. one, you cooled off the thermometer itself simply by opening the dome.

the second reason is that the meat is so cold relative to the cooker, that the meat is dragging temps down. eventually it will even out.

it is common for a person new to the egg to see the drop in temp and try to correct it. we have these grills that stop on a dime, so we try to tweak them constantly (as newbies).

but here's the evil twist. you opened the dome and cooled the thermo, and you added cold meat, BUT, you let in a huge amount of air. the egg LOOKS like it is cold, but the fire is actaully bigger than it was before you opened it because of the huge gulp of air you let in. ...this isn't a big deal with fires over 350/400, where there's a quicke draft, but in a lo-and-slo, you will SEE a lower temp, but actually encourage a spike as the fire consumes the gulp of air. if you try to open the vents to get the thermometer reading up, you will now REALLY overshoot the target temp. and that can create a viscious cycle of over correction.

in a low and slo, i never correct vents by more than 25% of whatever they are at. for example, if i want it hotter, i don't crank it open in the effort to get it hotter within the next five minutes thinking i'll then clamp down when it hits my desired temp. i'll just tweak it open by 25% and walk away. wait half an hour or more before you decide whether your vent change did anything. takes a while
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante