Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilling sides (asparagus)

Options
Banker John
Banker John Posts: 583
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking tenderloin and pork chops for dinner and the wife requested grilled asparagus and pineapple.[p]How do I prepare the asparagus?
What temp do I cook the asparagus?
How long do I cook the asparagus?[p]Any special suggestions for serving the asparagus?[p]Banker John

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    banker john,[p]We're doing these tonight as well - doing a Raichlen recipe from "How to Grill"....[p]Sesame-Grilled Asparagus[p]1 lb asparagus
    2 tbsp Asian (dark) sesame oil
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    1 clove garlic, minced
    Coarse salt and pepper
    2 tbsp sesame seeds[p]1. Set up grill for direct grilling.
    2. Snap off the woody bases of the asparagus and discard. Skewer 4 or 5 asparagus spears together, using toothpicks or bamboo skewers to make several "rafts".
    3. In a small bowl, combine the sesame oil, soy sauce, and garlic and stir with a fork to mix. Brush the mixture on the asparagus rafts on both sides. Season with a little salt and pepper.
    4. When ready to cook, place the asparagus rafts on the hot grate (450° - 500°) and gril until nicely browned on both sides, 2-4 minutes per side. Sprinkle the asparagus rafts with the sesame seeds when you put them on the grill and again when you flip.[p]These are really yummy and they make a lovely presentation on the plate. [p]Say hi to Mindy for us...![p]Tonia
    :~)

• Banker John
    Options
    QBabe,
    mmmmmmm! I'm cleaning the asparagus now. Thanks for the recipe. I'm doing it too![p]BTW, how hot do I do the tenderloins? It's been 6 months (too long) since I did them last time.

• QBabe
    Options
    banker john,[p]Tenderloins are great...I usually do them direct anywhere in the 300°-350° range, but prefer to keep it on the lower side. 10 minutes, flip, 10 more minutes, flip again, check with Thermapen if you have one, 10 minutes more and they should be close to the 140°-145° range internal. Yeah, I know that's not what USDA publishes, but tell Mindy it's ok. All the little bugs are killed off at 137° (or so I'm told). The tenderloin will be tender and juicy as can be...[p]Have fun!
    Tonia

• Banker John
    Options
    QBabe,
    We had 1 tenderloin and 2 pork chops. Used Olive oil, Braggs (soy sauce substitute), yellow mustard and Montreal steak seasoning and made a paste. Marinated for 3 hours.[p]They came out too much on the salty side for our palate. The pineapple, as usual, was fantastic. I got so excited and rushed during the cook that I forgot to sprinkle sesame seeds on the asparagus. The asparagus turned out fantastic... they were on the fat side so I peeled them with a carrot peeler so they would be more tender.[p]In all, I would give the meal a 6. Presentation was better than the flavor. TOO SALTY. The prok chops were just plain tough; shoe leather. I'll stick to tenderloins.[p]I hope your meal turned out better than ours. At least Mindy did not have to cook![p]Banker John

• Unknown
    Options
    banker john, unfortunately, I think pork chops MUST be brined before cooked on a grill (assuming they have any thickness to them). Chops also soak up lots of flavor from marinade, and a 3-hour soak in a soy-equivalent-paste was probably too long.[p]I would not give up on pork chops...only change your approach. You'll be much happier next time.

• QBabe
    Options
    banker john,[p]Sorry to hear that all did not turn out as well as you'd have liked...bummer. But, sometimes what you learn is what NOT to do and that helps just as much as finding somthing that works...[p]We're running late (again!)...still haven't tried the asparagus yet, but we'll report in later![p]It's tuna here for the main course. [p]Happy Sunday!
    Tonia
    :~)