Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To Drip or Not to Drip

Options
Gandolf
Gandolf Posts: 906
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing a 7 pound bone in prime rib this afternoon. Planning on setting up with drip pan on the grid with prime rib on a rib rack in the pan. Don't think I need the plate setter, but double checking with the experts. Is this setup right? Thanks

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Gandolf,[p]I usually use the plate-setter. Sometimes the drip pan goes on the setter and then the grid on top of that when the meat is going directly on the grid, but if I'm using a v-rack, then it's usually setter, grid, drip pan, v-rack.[p]Either way, I use the setter when I do indirect. The ceramic mass gives me better protection from the direct heat. I once tried it by just putting the drip pan and v-rack without the setter but it just burned everything in the pan and ruined it.[p]QBabe
    :~)

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    Gandolf,
    I have tried this both with and without a plate setter still using a drip pan. Technically, I believe, that the drip pan will accomplish the indirect heat and act as a heat deflector. However, everytime I have done this without a plate setter, whatever was in the drip pan gets burnt and ruined. If you plan on using the drippings to make a sauce, I would definitely go with the added ceramics for the heat deflector.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Gandolf,[p]Since you are probably going to cook the beef to rare, med-rare have you considered going direct?
    You could sear it on all sides to get a good color, pull it off, let the egg cool a bit, put it back on a raised grid at 3oo or so and turn occasionally until done..... or if you didn't want to turn it so much, put a drip pan under after the sear.
    Or start off direct with a raised grid around 300 turning every so often to get an even color until done.[p]Lots of way to approach but my goal in the end is to get a nice brown crust to contrast the juicy pink interior. Good stuff!
    Let us know what you decide.[p]Sunday morning coffee,
    John[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    QBabe,[p]what is a plate setter and where can you get one? I checked the BGE site and could not find one listed. Perhaps I missed it.[p]
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Max Jerrell,
    A plate setter is like a pizza stone on legs. Used feet down under a pizza stone to give extra ceramic mass so your pizza does not burn and cooks evenly. Used feet up with a grid on top for indirect cooks.[p]We got ours from our local dealer. You can also order them direct from BGE headquarters. Check out the link and go all the way to the bottom of the page. [p]~nikki

[ul][li]Plate Setter[/ul]