Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vidalias

Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bought a sack of 'em on sale the other day and wonder if anyone has a simple way of doing them in the Egg.. like with butter, stock, seasonings, etc. and wrapped in foil. Any ideas would be most welcomed! : - )

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i think i will try this one next time ;)

Onion, Savory Stuffed Vidalia, YB

A full meal in itself.

Ingredients:
    4 large Vidalia Onions,peeled
    1 3 oz package cream cheese,soften
    3 slices bacon,cooked and crumbled
    1/4 cup chives
    1/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
    1/2 tsp salt and garlic salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    2 drops red pepper sauce
    1/4 cup whipping cream
    1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    garnish
    20 boiled shrimp
    parsley

Preparation Directions:
    1 Steam onions by wrapping each one in a damp paper towel. Microwave at 100% for about 10 minutes or until tender.
    2 Spoon out inside pulp leaving 3 outer layers of onion. You should have a circular opening.
    3 Place in a casserole dish. Set a side. Combine all other ingredients except garnish.
    4 Place stuffing mixture equally into each of the steamed onions.
    5 Microwave for 2 or 3 minutes at 100% untill well heated.
    Special Instructions:
    1 Garnish each stuffed onion with 5 boiled shrimp around top edge of onion.
    2 Sprinkle center with parsley.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Side Dish, Vegetarian

Recipe Source
    Author: Larry Ward larryw@mail.mcg.edu.

Source: BGE Forum, YB

Vidalia onion festival grand prize winner 1990

hope this helps

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Rascal
    Thank you! Gotta give it a whirl!! 8 - ),,
  • We have been through three ten pound bags in the last month using this simple deal. Slice about half an inch thick and stack back together as you do in order to keep it from separating into rings. As you are stacking brush each slice with EVO and we sprinkle with Cavender's Greek seasoning. Let it set while the Egg is coming to temp. Then just slide the individual slices onto the grill. Of course one of those little perforated cooking sheets definitely makes them easier to handle. They have accompanied everything I've Egg'd for the last month. Really easy and GOOD.
  • Rascal
    Thank you! Is the spice easy to find?> I'm on the west coast of FL where we have Publix, Albertsons, Sweetbay & Winn-Dixie. TIA!!
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    I like to trim the outer skin off and slice the top 1/4 to 1/2" off. If the onion won't sit up trim the bottom so it is flat. Then take a knife and make a V in the top. Like cutting a small funnel out. Hard to describe! Then put some butter in the V a little salt & pepper. Wrap in foil tight so the steam can't get out. put on the egg and cook until tender. They are best when the butter browns a little and the bottom is charred. Have also used worcestershire sauce and my son likes a half of a bouillon cube. I'm sure any Dizzy Pig would be great also.
    Another more simple way is cut into 1/2 to 3/4" slices, stick tooth pics into the side to keep rings together, spray or coat with EVOO, season as you like cook direct until tender. I like a little char on mine too.
    Enjoy!
    Jupiter Jim :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• I do mine like Jim but I use butter and honey in the "v".
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    I like to core the center out and fill with balsamic vin and 1 pat of butter,foil 350 for a hour.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE