Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Platesetter Question

Options
Tim Fowler
Tim Fowler Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I broke my old platesetter for my XL BGE and ordered a new one, but there's a problem. The flanges on the new platesetter (the part that holds the grill off the platesetter) are twice the height of my old platesetter. I.E. 3" versus 1.5", and now the grill and platesetter get wedged and stuck up in the lid when the lid closes. Have the dimensions of the XL Eggs changed, thus the different sized platesetter?

I don't really want to grind the flanges to makes it fit properly, but short of there being two different platesetters for the XL Eggs, and I got the wrong one, I don't really see an alternative.

I haven't called BGE yet to ask them for an explanation, but thought I would post here to see if anyone else has eggsperienced the same problem.
Thanks and Best Regards,
Tim

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    What you received was the new and improved plate setter to go with the new and improved firering. You have to order the older PS to work with your setup, or get a new firering. Call your dealer back and explain to them, or call the mother ship.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Watch this video for the differences in the new XL.

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/533.htm
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Hey Tim,

I'm in the exact opposite position as you are--I recently purchased an XL, and it has the shortened firebox/firering, but was sold the older-style (shallow legs) plate setter.

Where are you located? Perhaps we can work out a trade or something. Mine's only been cooked with a whole ONE time, and it was for the maiden voyage last week.

If you are able to work out something locally, that's cool, too. I've sent an email to both BGE customer support and my local dealer here in the Austin, TX area to find out what can be done. If I am told that I have to purchase another one, I'll be really disappointed. However, I'd be willing to do a trade if you'd be interested in doing that instead.

I'll post a pic later if you need to verify that I have the PS you're looking for.
  • Tim Fowler
    Options
    Thanks Mike,
    I appreciate the offer, but I'm in South Carolina. I believe the shipping cost would prohibit a trade. I'm hoping to call the mother ship Monday to see about just swapping out PS's. I think it's the least they could do considering they never mentioned there being TWO different PS's for the XL because they changed something.
    Best Regards,
    Tim
  • Tim Fowler
    Options
    Hey...thanks!
    That explains everything. It would've been nice for the BGE dealer to have mentioned that information when I ordered the dadgum thing. Oh well...live and learn.
    Thanks,
    Tim
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Understand completely, Tim. Hope that you're able to get the right piece. I'll let you know how my quest goes.