Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chicken question

Options
dougemsmacks
dougemsmacks Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have tried many different ways to make chicken parts and I can make juicy, tasty, chicken but the skin is rubber or I can loose some flavor and get the crispy skin but not both.

If I use my other round shaped charcoal grill (no names mentioned) I can get the chicken parts just right.
Any ideas on how that happens? I do have the adjustable rig and on the highest setting it seems the closest when I cook around 400° direct.

Comments

• Fire Walker
    Fire Walker Posts: 241
    Options
    After cleaning your chicken dry it with a paper towel, then put it back in the frig uncovered till fire is ready. When ready to cook skin should be dry set temp about 375 to 400 indirect,season after the first 10min of cook. You could also spatchcock the chicken dry skin rub small amount of butter or evo on bird and season set temp 375 to 400 indirect.
    FireWalker
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    The very reason the egg cooks meat while keeping it moist can make rubbery chicken skin...don't dispare!
    I cook my chickens at 400 dome temp, indirect, spatchcock style to 180 internal meat temp. Once I hit meat temp I pull my platesetter out wearing leather welding gloves. I open up the egg and throw the chicken on direct for 2 minutes each side. Skin is nice and crispy and chicken is out of this world.

I have found I prefer my chicken cooked to 180 intenal temps, even the breast. It is still very juicy and hits that fall off the bone tenderness. It can be difficult getting it off the grill without it falling apart.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Thanks for the post Tim, it has been a long time since I have cooked chicken to 180°, something I will need to try again on the next chicken cook.

I don't use the plate setter but raised grid at 400° to 500°.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Putting the chicken in the fridge on a plate will take some of the moisture out of the skin.

I have use corn starch. The skin has a little crunchiness to it some of which is from the corn starch.

Also, use the lower vent to control the temperature and if you can keep the DFMT off of the egg or at least full open. The heated air flowing freely out the egg seems to produce a little dryer cook.

For a more moist cook I close down the DFMT as far as I possibly can to maintain temperature.

GG
  • dougemsmacks
    dougemsmacks Posts: 152
    Options
    I have noticed that keeping the top closed as much as possible produces a very moist product no matter what you are cooking but the crispy skin is what I can't get.

The pulled pork or steaks and don't forget chops all come out great, it is just the chicken I need to conquer and I have tried with hit and miss results.