Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table - Composite Wood

Ribhead
Ribhead Posts: 123
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My next project is to get my large egg in a table!

Was wondering if anyone has experience with builiding a table out of composite wood such at TREK? I have no experience with this stuff! Seems like many people talk about cutting out the hole in the wood for the egg to fit in to - then sanding and routing! just not sure how this would work with composite wood! Seems like the cut would have to be perfect!

It would be nice to not have to worry about maintaining the wood!

Seems like I read a recent post about this!

Thanks

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    It would probably work, but beware the heat tolerance of the manufactured decking materials. That stuff cuts like butter with the right blades, but I would be concerned about heat exposure and durability.
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    I'm a building contractor and I wouldn't recommend composites for decking, never mind an Egg table. It has no strucural stability so it a can't be used for the frame or support, and they are all made with plastics and resins that will not hold up under any exposure to heat, most of these products warp under mild exposure to sunlight.
    Stick with pressure treated or cedar for your frame and quality outdoor hard woods such as mahogany, teak or ipe for your horizontal surfaces and trim.
    Porcelain tile and natural stone are also excellent choices, just be sure to use the proper latex additives when mixing the thinset mortar.
  • Ribhead
    Ribhead Posts: 123
    Thanks for the advice!
  • Any experience with using cypress for a project like this? Do you think it has the strength?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    just me, but i think PT for a frame is overkill. it's exposed to the air. no insects or rot are going to get at a frame that sits on wheels or in contact with dry ground.

PT is overused and often misused.

the POT industry loves this, because accounts for most of their profit.

i agree about composites. insubstantial. pretty weak
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Citizen Q
    I have only used cypress flooring, but I've seen it used for some high end patio furniture so best educated guess is, it would be great for a table.
  • Citizen Q
    The fact is, as far as dimensional lumber goes, PT holds up to the elements and looks decent under low maintenance. KD is horrible under any exposure (checking, splitting, rot, mold and mildew, termite bait...) and even cedar doesn't fare that much better in ground contact (dry ground is only dry when it's not wet).
    Unless you want to special order pricey exotics which still require extensive maintenance 2 or 3 times per year to maintain their beauty, PT is the durable and economical choice wherever exposure to the elements is concerned, and it's easily dressed up and trimmed out with more attractive components to suit.

You coming to Eggfest or what? Come early, stay late this time dude.