Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trailering eggs in nests?

Options
thillin
thillin Posts: 33
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone transport their eggs in their nests in a trailer? I've been moving them to wooden crates. But it would be much easier to roll them up the ramp in their nests. Didn't know how they hold up traveling in their nests. It's not the falling over I worry about, but the stress points where egg meets nest when hitting bumps.

Thanks
Ty

Comments

• Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    We hauled several around for four years in our 18 foot trailer and never had a problem. When we went to a 34 foot trailer we cracked three bases,two on one trip. I decided it was from the Eggs being located several feet behind the wheels and was getting a whiplase effect when I hit a hole. What I did to solve the problem was take some foam type floor mats and made cushioning between the Egg base and the nest. I cut some strips and glued them to the frame of the nest. Next I cut some round disks to go between the firebox and nest, then made one to go between the firebox and fire ring. Takes s a few minutes to do this but have had no broke parts since. We travel some rough roads at times.

Hope this helps.
    Poppasam
    Jus-Fer-Fun Cookig Crew
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    i believe cw trailers his in the nests and ricks tropical delight as well.. one of my team mates recently bought a trailer and eggs are placed against the front wall in their nests so far it has worked fine... mine goes in a pick up truck out of the nest..
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    Trailering is fine as long as you strap the Egg securely in the nest with bungees or cargo straps and secure the nest forward in the trailer with medium or heavy duty ratcheting cargo straps. The further towards the rear, the more any road vibrations are amplified. Try to make your Egg one with the trailer and you will be fine.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    We recently rented a Toy Hauler and transported 4 Eggs (all in nest) and they were in great shape after a 10 hour drive.

I couple of things we did-

-Took fire box & ring out and packed them separately.
    -Strapped the Egg to the nest snuggly.
    -Padded the Egg with furniture blankets.
    -Strapped each nest to the floor using heavy zip ties at all four points.

Bobby Cresap had always suggested that the nest created a "shock absorber" effect on the Egg...I believe he's right.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I usually take my eggs out of the nest and set them on the floor up front. They are great for tongue weight and the front of the trailer has the least bounce.

I have noticed though my nest aren't happy about that. They need some heavy maintenance. Screws are loose and such. Which I assume is happening because they are bouncing around in the trailer.

So I am rethinking that strategy.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    Hey Pete,

Hauling the nest(s) around is also a concern here, they can be very destructive rubbing against other objects over a 200-300 mile ride.

I built a rack to hold them recently, gonna try them like this the next rip out. I ran two 2x4's about 9" apart and bungeed them to it. If it works then I will add another and hold all 4.

-Smitty

may2009075A.jpg

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA