Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

question on cleaning

Options
EggHead09
EggHead09 Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
okay. I am doing a 500 degree burn off to clean the ceramic and the cooking grid. BHow long should I let it sit at that temperature before I choke it off?! Thanks for any input!

Matt

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I am not sure if 500° dome will be enough help. Others will jump in on that. I would check at 30 minute intervals.

If looking down the dome dome be careful of the heat, eyes are hard to replace. A mirror with a handle is a save way view if there is a potential of excessive heat coming out of the time.

GG
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I usually burn off every couple of months or so and just make sure there is not lots of charcoal. Take the top off and wide open the bottom.. Usually gets to 600F+ and lasts until it burns out. Place grills and iron DFT top in for the burn.
  • EggHead09
    EggHead09 Posts: 52
    Options
    well really its more like 550
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i wouldn't try to clean the grid that way.

best (usually) to just give it a firm brushing when it is warm, to get rid of the biggest gunk.

never trust a spotless grid!
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    600 degrees for about 4 hours works fine.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    600-700 for a few hours ,, then a foil ball to get the ash off the ceramic ,, depends on how much crud.. do not do a wide open 900 if you have a lot of crud... to tired to discribe the disaster , trust me the really cool jet blue flames are not fun the next day.
  • OttawaEgg
    OttawaEgg Posts: 283
    Options
    Well, I guess I'm about due for a lil clean as well. (I should also replace what's left of my gasket! LOL )

So, looks like a good 600F burn - just let it go until the lump runs out? (Thinking that might not take 4 hours??)