Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

best ash cleaning method for inner ring?

JTC
JTC Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Like any good Egger, I frequently remove the ash that falls into the bottom of the
Egg using the Egg ash tool (long handle with a small 'L' on one end. The chore is even easier now that I have a BGE Ash Pan.
BUT... knowing how much the Egg enjoys an even supply of Oxygen - I wonder what other Eggers are doing to get to the ash that falls between the Shell of the Egg and the inner ring. The tool is straight and only goes so far when pulling ash out between the two walls - so the back half is stacked with ash I'm sure. Of course the real answer is to lift out the internal ceramics and clean the ash - but just curious if the creativity of this group has a solution that does not require pulling out all of the heavy dirty components.
I was thinking of using my air compressor to blact out the ash by shooting the air down from one of the holes in the inner ring. Downside would be the dust plume.
Thoughts??

Your in Good Egging...

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Stick with the logical solution you will be happier..
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I use a shop vac.

I think it was FlaPoolman that gave me the idea to attach 3/4" flexible tubing to the end of the shop-vac hose. Stick it in through the bottom draft door and snake it around the outside of the firebox to clean the ash from between the firebox and the outer shell of the egg. I then remove the section that has the tubing and suck the ash from the bottom of the firebox.

Takes less than a minute.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Take him apart and show that you care a little. :huh:

Every month or so for me.
  • JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    yep -- whenever I do a low and slow (and the next time I cook pizzas) I take it apart and throw the ash across the lawn. It only takes about 5 minutes and is pretty easy -- just don't drop anything.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    I try to use the lump down prior to a good cleaning. I don't find it that much of a chore to remove the ring and box to clean it out. I may be a little retentive as I do this about once a month or so or before a low and slow.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    At times I follow Fidel's (FlaPoolman) method.

I don't like taking the egg apart so I use the lazy method. Th majority of the time I use the ash tool and reach as far as I can, left & right.

I have also used a clothes dryer vent clean out bursh - round bristle brush on a bendable long bendable wire that can be connected to a drill if desired.

The air flow the lump is concerned about is the air flow into the firebox and up throught he fire grate and the air that passes through the holes in the fire box itself.

So as far as cleaning out the ash between outside of the firebox and the inner egg wall is not needed all that often. The ash doesn't need to be cleaned out until the ash fills up close to the bottom of the air holes in the fire box itself.

A quick clean with the ash tool left & right between the egg wall and fire box is more than needed.

When I stir the lump getting the ash to fall, I avoid pushing ash through the fire box air vent holes and guide the ash down through the fire grate.

I use the Large egg a lot and go through a lot of RO Lump. In practicality I do a full remove & clean about once a year or so. The largest ash build up I have experienced is about 3/4".

GG
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Depends on how the egg is acting but I will take it apart every now and then to check. If doing a low and slow it's a judgement call depending on how often I have been using it and if it's been heating well.

I try to do it about 3 time a year, needed or not.

Good Luck,
    Bordello
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    It works great

101_3019.jpg

101_3020.jpg
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    It works great.... as long as the ash is not hot....LMAO... :P :P
  • FlaPoolman
    It's at least the next day or longer before it gets cleaned :P I thought the reason for multiple eggs was so you can rotate them. :huh: :P
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    I recommend turning the Egg so that the vent door is facing downwind. Close the Egg and stand behind the Egg (on a stool if necessary) and direct the blast from a leaf blower directly down from the top. If you wish to collect the ash, have your spouse hold a paper bag in front of the vent door.

This method will also detect leaks in the gasket seal unless the ash is larger than the gaps.

You could, of course turn the Egg upwind and try same.

Alternate procedure: Remove the ceramic top and use the leaf blower to replace the 4 or 10CFM fan on your BBQ Guru.

Please let me know if you find these successful - I've not tried them myself . . . :laugh:
  • I liked the part about getting the spouse to hold a bag over the vent. Until that part I only suspected that you were kidding. :woohoo:
  • Panhandle Smoker
    I can imagine the look on my wife's face if I asked her to do that. :laugh:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Ah, duct tape, the handyman's friend :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FlaPoolman
    After my adventure with the hinge on one of the larges I'm not allowed to play with power tools for a bit :( :whistle::whistle:
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Sounds like there is a story there. :laugh:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Pat,

Ain't nuthin you cant do with WD40 and duct tape. Somebody says that in their signature line.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RU Eggsperienced
    RU Eggsperienced Posts: 1,527
    Hey thats what I do.. Somebody been watchin me on my deck.. :ohmy: :woohoo:

I got a small Dewalt shopvac that is powered by a Cordless Drill battery. That thing is perfect.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    It doesn't bother me to get my hands a little dirty, grew up around to many farms I guess. I clean mine out completely at least once a month. I like to maximize my air flow.

Gator
  • Cornbread
    Cornbread Posts: 7
    I use a shop vac it does a great job
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    After one year and over 150 cooks I pulled my firebox out and found only about 1/2 cup of ash in the very back. The rest can be reached with the tool, so I don't even think about it.