Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SURVEY: dome open or closed during searing using TRex method

Options
TRex
TRex Posts: 2,714
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
trexsteaks.jpg
<p />Well, yesterday I discovered in a thread below that several people have been doing the sear step of my method with the dome closed. I guess I never really made that clear in my write-up, but I always sear with the dome open. I'm not really sure what difference would be made, except perhaps that you would cook the steak a little more with the dome closed, and prehaps you'd get a less livelier fire for searing with the dome closed. I've now got to try dome-closed and see what I think.[p]So let's do a survey - if you use my method, do you sear with the dome open or dome closed?[p]TRex

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    TRex,[p]I have never seared anything with the dome closed. Count mine as open always.

• Hanker'n2Grill
    Options
    TRex,[p]I wanted to thank you again if I haven't already for the fantastic write up for preparing and cooking steaks ... wonderful. [p]I will try the dome open and let you know.

[ul][li]http://www.kseyes.com/Hank's_BGE.htm[/ul]
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    TRex,
    The one time we have done steaks your way we did it dome closed. With all the talk of steaks lately it made me wanting a steakso...I picked up some ribeyes last night. Plan to do them dome open this time.[p]~nikki

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Hanker'n2Grill,
    I really like your table setup and if you don't mind I may contact you later for some details. I am thinking of doing mine over and adding a second Egg in place of the old gas grill that is never used. I also like the way you did the bottom area. Obviously, a lot of thought went into your plans. Maybe this time I will put a lot of thought into mine instead of just blow'n & go'n & glue'n & screw'n with no particular end result in mind.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Unknown
    Options
    TRex,[p]I've always seared with the dome closed. Its just natural for me to close the lid, honestly never occurred to me to leave it open. Makes perfect sense now though. I'll try it with the lid open next time just to see if it makes any difference.

• Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    Options
    TRex,
    Closed. It protects the felt.[p]Kip

• Shoosh
    Shoosh Posts: 19
    Options
    TRex,
    I have always seared with it closed and when I tried the TRex method with a cowboy steak (which turned out very nicely) I also did that with the lid closed. I posed that question to my dad and he said he sears with the dome(lid) closed.

• Steve
    Steve Posts: 94
    Options
    TRex,
    Has anyone had experience with both open and closed dome searing? Is there a difference in the en d result? If so, whatg is the difference?

• TRex
    Options
    steve,[p]I will be trying closed-dome searing soon to compare results.[p]TRex
  • TRex
    Options
    Hanker'n2Grill,[p]Glad you've enjoyed it. Remarkable setup, by the way. I may be talking with you more about this in the future, as I'm about to move into a house and build a table.[p]TRex
  • JK
    JK Posts: 93
    Options
    TRex,[p]Closed.
  • MrCoffee
    MrCoffee Posts: 33
    Options
    TRex, Always closed. It has worked great on any kind of steak that meats the egg.

• Dave's Not Here
    Options
    TRex,
    Close the lid, open the slider, then the temp drops, wait 45 seconds, very carefully open avoiding flashback, turn 90° or flip, repeat everything three more times. That's just too much trouble.[p]I've tried it both ways and settled on leaving it open. Just need a really long pair of tongs.[p]5:06 PM. It's beer time![p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    TRex,
    I prefer the dome closed. The fire burns much hotter that way. Without that "chimney" effect I can't get the quick sear I am looking for. Just a personal pref.[p]BTW, I tried your 20 minute rest method on some top sirloin steaks a few months ago, and did not notice much difference from the way I normally do it. But in the past few weeks I have twice tried gorgeous choice ribeyes with the long rest after a hard sear, and they were out of this world. I'm sold. The TRex steak method could be the single most significant contribution to this forum in a long time!! Thank you.[p]Beers!
    Chris[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • TRex
    Options
    Chris,[p]Glad to hear you were pleased with the results. I'm also glad that these threads have stirred up some skepticism. I'm a firm believer in experiment to prove speculation - I hope that these threads will inspire more experimentation and more good reports of results and value info. for eggheads and newbies alike.[p]TRex
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    TRex,
    I totally agree with you. [p]Over my forty something years I have found that most people fit into two groups. Those that find something they like, and automatically stick with it through and through. And those that are constantly looking into new ways to do things.[p]Both groups are happy, but the latter group learns a whole bunch more.[p]Beers to you.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Options
    TRex,[p]Both....I'm just stupid I guess. Depends on how long I want it to sear or.....rain lately.

• Unknown
    Options

whewre can i purchase a torch like yours?[p]Hanker'n2Grill,