Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Shelter Meal, The Final Tally....

The Naked Whiz
The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, my wife just got back from the shelter meal. The report goes something like this: Several of the women said the meat was a real treat. 3 of the women told my wife to go home and give me a big kiss. Several of the women made up extra sandwhiches to take back to their rooms. There was no meat left. So, all in all, I think it was a success! Now the women in the church group that served the meal want me to cook for their Christmas gathering. See? This is why you need a large!! [p]TNW
The Naked Whiz

Comments

1044 Posts: 93
    The Naked Whiz,
    Way 2 go!

• The Naked Whiz,
    Way to go TNW. You once again prove why you "eggsperts" are the best!
    Your GREAT deed will not go unnoticed!
    the Fat Man

• The Naked Whiz,[p]Looks like you'll need two larges!
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    The Naked Whiz, and how many women were there and how many pounds of butt did you start with? And, oh, btw - good job.

• The Naked Whiz
    the Fat Man,
    Yeah, it won't go unnoticed. I've been yapping about it all day long, haven't I??? :-)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Wise One,
    Well, there were 38 women when all was said and done. My wife also gave a bit to a neighbor before she left. I'd say that I kept about 1/2 of a butt for myself. So, I started with 4 butts, about 30 pounds raw, and served 3.5 butts to 38 women.[p]Oh, and by the way, I'd say the load of lump was about 1/2 gone after the 16 hours of burning. I used BGE lump. Compare this to the Wicked Good Charcoal which burned at a higher temperature for 13 hours and you almost couldn't tell any was gone. FWIW...[p]Interesting (?) side note regarding these sweet ladies who said my wife should give me a big kiss. My neighbor is a parole officer for the city police. He has had to go to this shelter a few times to arrest women. He says all the other women gang up on him and try to prevent him from doing his duty and that he has had to back out of there with a woman in cuffs and threatening them with pepper spray as they try to defend the woman he is taking. Sigh, it's a strange world. I'm glad they enjoyed the food and had a great meal. And if they say they want more, by God, they will get more! [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    The Naked Whiz,[p]so if they didn't like your food you'd have been in big trouble.[p]Seriously - nice work TNW. Wish I could have been there with ya.
    CB

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    The Naked Whiz,
    Congratulations on a job well done.[p]Ken

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    The Naked Whiz, you must have had right at 25 pounds which should have provided 60 (2.4x25) servings. I'd say that was just about right for 38 women who probably don't get an opportunity to eat something that tasty that often. 1.5/servings per woman was pretty good. I may want to increase my model to 1.5 servings per woman.