Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do you find that the large or medium size green egg is best for pizza? When you make a pizza does the big green egg get the final product too smokey...or does it cook it like a brick oven? What is the best charcoal to use for pizza? I want to buy a big green egg, but I'm not sure what size is best. Is this the best BBQ you have all used yet? I currently have a gas grill (Weber).[p]Do you find that a large Big Green Egg might use up too much charcoal if you have a family of four compared to a medium one, or is it worth the flexibility of cooking for bigger groups?

Comments

• Poncho
    Poncho Posts: 50
    karen ng,
    I've done pizza several times in my large. It has not come out smokey, although if I wanted to add smoke I could. Pizza is just the tip of the iceberg. Get a large, you will not regret it.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    karen ng,[p]Large! Large! Large! While a medium will work for you, 9 out of 10 folks who purchase a medium wish they had gotten a large. I don't think the difference in charcoal consumption is an issue. They are both very efficient.[p]Jim
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    karen ng,[p]Go for the big Egg initially. There will come a time when you might also want one or more of the other sizes.[p]All are very efficient in the use of lump charcoal. Having the extra capacity to cook for larger events is very handy. And yes, you will be doing a lot of larger events once friends and family discover how good the chow is.[p]I've cooked pizza on the Lg. Med. and Sm. Egg with the only difference being the maximum size of the pie you can do at one time. Excess smokiness is not a problem if you let your fire get well established. If I ever find a pizza stone for the mini, I will try that as well. [p]Eggs are in fact the best general purpose outdoor cookers on the market. I have a garage full of grills, smokers, etc, but the Eggs get the nod 4 times out of 5 for everyday cooks.[p]Don't think twice. Get in on the fun and join us here. Your new "family" is already waiting for you.[p]K~G

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    karen ng,
    I'm single and bought a large first, it is my favorite, I also have a medium and mini. If the choice is between a medium and large, get the large, you will not regret it.[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    karen ng,

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    karen ng,
    I agree, get the large. Yeah, it's just me and my wife, but today, I cooked 30 pounds of pork for a meal for a women's shelter. Also, when doing pizza, you aren't interested in volume, you are interested in grid/pizza stone space. My wife and I buy 14" pizzas from our local pizza place and that requires a 16" pizza stone (if you want ensure the pizza doesn't stick over the edge where it will burn). If we had a medium, we couldn't cook these lovely pizzas. We love smoke and so I throw in a bunch of smoking chips when I do pizza. It gives the cheese and meat a nice little bit of smoke. If you don't add smoking woods, you will get very little smoke flavor during a short cook like a pizza. [p]The other consideration regarding medium vs. small is if you ever intend to entertain. Think about what you might cook and how much you would need to cook. Good luck, whatever you do, you won't regret it. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • JK
    JK Posts: 93
    karen ng,[p]I have a large, plate setter, and the 14" pizza stone. Cooks great pizza. I don't add chips with the lump, so I don't get a smokey flavor.
  • karen ng,
    Go large baby! We have done a couple of shows from the BGE store and listened to previous owners of med and sml...We had hoped they were there for the show....Wellll, they were there to get the Large egg....Bigger is better and if you would like some tips on perfect pizza every time e-mail us or just get on the forum....These are the best-of-the-best when it comes to the grill! And let me know when you get your egg as we would like to welcome you to the "egg family" and you will find soon....that you will be an eggspert![p]Keep your flame up!
    Your pots hot!
    And your champagne always chilled to perfection!
    Celebrate the "EGGCEPTIONAL" good life!
    www.chefandthefatman.com[p]the Fat Man